Author Topic: 1994 Original Polo G40 Alpine white  (Read 17969 times)

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
Re: 1994 Original Polo G40 Alpine white
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 08:01:26 am »
Im not sure. When I did the swap, 3 years ago, I just did what i felt what right. Okay, maybe not the best idea, but now all the paper work is in order, the car has the correct VIN plates for the Reg, so all is well, no?

Offline kwijibo_coupe

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 05:28:58 pm »
So what happened to the VIN and reg that was for that shell? Did you put that away to scrap with the original G40 shell?

I've tried Googling the legalities behind this and can't find much on it, but don't know if I'm looking in the right place. A lot of what I keep finding suggests this is no different 'ringing' a car.

Do you have a picture of the VIN number on the scuttle panel? I want to see if it looks like it has been tampered with.

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 06:59:33 pm »
The Vin and reg from the 1.3 Cl went to scrap with the G40 shell yes.

When I swapped the scuttle panel vin, I tried to make it look as if it was standard. It needs a touch of paint here and there, but then again the whole bay would benifit from a respray.

I could have kept quiet about the cars history, and sold it with out any truth behind the advert, so I think I should get a golden star for my honesty...right?!?!

Offline kwijibo_coupe

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 08:11:54 pm »
I do admire your honesty. But that doesn't make what you did any less dodgy.

The G40 reg does that have a write off against it?

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 09:35:06 pm »
No, the previous owner who had the accident didnt have it registered as written off.

Offline pettsy

• Members
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 10:50:19 am »

I could have kept quiet about the cars history, and sold it with out any truth behind the advert, so I think I should get a golden star for my honesty...right?!?!

just because you're honest doesn't mean it's right   ::)  I suspect the car would be classed as a ringer, as I understand it you can only reshell (and keep existing identity) into a brand new shell that hasn't been registered previously.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 04:04:22 pm »
or I think you can apply for an IVA as well and then get the "new" shell's VIN/chassis number put onto the G40 V5 if you can pass an IVA that is!  I think that's the only genuine way of doing a reshell and keeping the ID without using a new shell.  Everything I can find says there is no legal way of transferring one identity on to another shell that already had it's own identity.

I guess this all depends how friendly you are with your MOT tester and how likely it is you are ever going to get pulled over for a vosa check or something. 

I think this is a dodgy area but I also think it goes on a lot (esp in the world of Fords etc...)

Offline benh999

• Members
  • K776PKR finally back home
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 09:40:17 pm »
Is it not illegal to change vin plates / chassis numbers??

as you are basically claiming another car is something that it is not hence fraud?

I agree with you Pete, I'm pretty sure that swapping vins etc over is very illegal?

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 08:21:42 am »
Just to add, this is a for sale thread, not a discussion forum. I think everyone gets the idea. Yes it might not be strictly legal, but i guess it happens all the time, it just goes untold.

So unless anyone has any more questions about the car, then please try to refrain from posting un-useful stuff.

Cheers.

Offline dekerf1996

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 10:20:38 am »
Shouldn't this be moved into the parts for sale section, as its essentially a conversion for sale, just in a rolling shell, as the car looks like it is illegal for the road, and i believe any use on the road could see it impounded.

As such £2,200 for an engine conversion looks a little expensive.

I would have been going to look at this but for this massive issue

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 10:45:23 am »
It could lead to this if you were to be found out, but as the car is carrying the right reg, vin plates and color, how can it be a problem?

Offline kwijibo_coupe

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 11:54:35 am »
Well for a start you've announced it on the internet. Did you remove the sticker in the boot? I'm sure that has the VIN number on it too.

Fair enough you are unlikely to be found out but I don't think it is worth the risk. Really this is only good for use as a full conversion

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 12:22:33 pm »
Yeah true, not the wisest of things to have done.

Should have just lied about the whole thing, probably would have sold by now right haha.

Well i guess Im open to offers on a conversion price then.

Offline tomcj1992

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 12:06:34 am »
Hi,
Id first like to add well done for putting in the time and effort for saving a G40 and putting her back on the road! fair enough you cant sell as a "original" G but you've been honest with everyone which i appreciate. To all the guys slating this guy, hes gone to all the time and effort re shelling his previous G40, okay its not original but if you guys really knew your stuff you should know that the chassis and shells are more or less identical in all mk2f polos. Im a G owner myself and building a V8 BMW e28 with completely different running gear, air ride setup, bigger brakes, different wheels, custom exhaust ect. I am telling you guys this as you can clearly see that my BMW is hardly going to be "original" once complete.  Does this mean that my car is going to be illegal... yes most probably (if i inform the dvla they will ask so which part is original ... the shell :/ not going to go down too well now is it!) ! Do i give a fuck... Nope! That's what car building is about and if any of you guys have a problem then i suggest you go back and cry to your mumma about it :). Apologies for the rant, just some peoples comments are so lame its unbelievable.

Regards to all the haters lol
Tom

Offline pettsy

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 07:29:54 am »
It's not the conversion that people have an issue with, it's the ringing of the vehicles identity. Wether shells are identical or not it's still not legitimate.