Author Topic: Belt left on the mway at 80  (Read 9333 times)

Offline batten

• Members
Re: Belt left on the mway at 80
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 12:33:25 am »
Big thanks to Raw (Andy) on here for sending the new belt out so fast. Well the cars running again but not after a bit of a game to get it on. id sourced an allen key for the supercharger mount and lowered it down, slipped the belt on and pulled the charger back up and secured it all with the correct amount of play. Fired it up and the belt was slack again and a few more goes at lifting the charger and lighten soon cure that  ::). But im unconfident with my crank pully, it has no raised sides like the others so nothing to prevent it from moving about and rubbing against the engine plastics. anybody else find this? maybe its just one dodgy pully or is that normal?

Anyway had my G smiles back today! Yay!  ;D

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 07:28:25 am »
mine did it, it turned out to be the 19mm bolt located just below the pully on the supercharger (its propa shagged), tho i had to remove the charger to tap out the hole again and i also used a new bolt as the old one was fucked.
mine's fine now and hasn't moved at all,
i'd tap the holes out again if your'e getting movement, think the threads are M12

cheers Tom
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:31:07 am by tdh-syorks »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 09:28:35 am »
UI don't think any of the bottom pullies on the toothed belt kits had flanges on the sides.  On the toothed belt kit I used to have (which was one of the very first batch sold by PSD) the alternator & charger pullies both had flanges on.

Offline Jake

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 11:22:13 am »
yeah mine has the side pieces on the charger and alternator pullies but nothing on the crank pulley

Offline batten

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 12:05:01 pm »
ah thats a relief then

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 05:43:22 pm »
How much play should be left in the belt once fitted?
I'm on my original belt of +20K miles, an I run it with plenty of play/give, no were near as tight as either my cambelt or the OEM V-belts, keeping these belts slack will also vastly reduces bearing wear too, I can get a 180 degree twist without too much trouble between the charger and crank pulley with my belt. I have got some evidence of bits of forign body(grit/stones) getting caught between the pulley and belt, but nothing that has caused a failure.

Me and my big mouth 30k, belt started loosing teeth last night(was sounding rather rough), mangaed the 50mile round trip to work and snapped about 3 miles from the house while returning from the motorfactors!  Cheers to Sauce(my mate) who recoverd me with his golf

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 06:23:33 pm »
but it lasted 30k though?  I dont think that's an issue

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 12:21:02 pm »
Always carry a spare belt with me, just incase and a few tools although it has only ever gone on me once so far and it did go for a fair few miles before anything happened to be honest.

The belts from pete seem to do the trick though  ;)

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 08:38:20 am »
but it lasted 30k though?  I dont think that's an issue

Your right, not an issue, just a temporary inconvience really, I think it did rather well