Author Topic: Trabant G40  (Read 30374 times)

Offline Hunor

• Members
Trabant G40
« on: January 04, 2015, 11:09:29 pm »
Hello guys, in advance I apologie for my english, I'm from Transilvania.
Last summer I have started a project: to swap the original 1.1 VW engine with a 1.3 G40 engine in my Trabant, and to make it  turbocharged. In romania we don't have G40 experts and not even G40s, I barely found an engine donor (don't start throwing rocks, I didn took apart a good G40), so I need to rely only on online documentaton, so imagine how happy I was that I found this forum.
At first I would like to start with presenting my car: I'm working on it for la last 5 years. In this time i have changed the 4 speed gearbox for a 5 speed (code WW0 from a Golf1), servo brake, FK inoxline adjustable suspension, 50mm stainless steel exhaust, Opel Corsa Sport ventilated front disc brakes, and more others.

Now comes the hard part the swap. I have finished the exhaust manifold and the downpipe, I'm using a k03 turbo (the cold part and the midel part from a Skoda 1.8t, the hot part from an Audi). I have the original wiring form the G40, the stock engine, and I think the original gearbox. The questions ar the following:
1. What should I change in the wiring to make the conversion from the G-lader to the turbo?
2. I need to change the map sensor? I'm planing on running on 0.7-0.8bar boost at the beginning with the original chip, then go up to 1 bar when I can get a new chip.
3. For this configuration the original intercooler is enough or I need a biger?

Thx in advance for the help, and if you are interested I will keep you posted on the project.

In the pictures I use the original 1.1 engine as a dummy, it's easier.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:11:08 pm by Hunor »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Trabant G40
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:11:44 am »
hello! Welcome to the forum. 

It's nice to see a Trabant G40 on here, pretty sure you're the first member.  I've seen pictures of them before.  I have driven a Trabant with the older 2-stroke engine in it, it's an experience, I imagine it must be pretty scary with even a standard G40 engine in.

For wiring with the turbo the only thing I changed was removing the full throttle switch and using a pressure sensor set at around 6psi.  This is because with the turbo you can still get quote a lot of boost when not on full throttle.  I think there will be information on this in the engine or wiring sections on here.  You will need an ECU chip to suit though.

With 1 bar or less there's no need to change the map sensor. It's only if you want more than 1 bar that it needs swapping for a higher rated one.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:27:43 pm »
Awesome! Welcome to the forum. Please keep us updated with the progress. Have a look through the turbo section here, there is loads of good info in there.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:22:41 pm »
Excellent project!

I'd recommend a bigger intercooler, but I think if you just go with whatever you can make fit it'd be fine! You'll also want to change the G40 camshaft for a different one - a 3F (Polo GT) camshaft is a better place to start, or ideally a 254° or 268° aftermarket camshaft from Piper, Schrick etc.

Offline Hunor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 05:41:12 pm »
From which car can I use the pressure sensor? because I couldn't finde an universal one. Until I finde someone who can make a costum chip, the stock one will work with a pressure sensor at 6psi, an 0.8 bar boost, the original map sensor, and a BOV (i dont know yet what kind I will buy)?
About the camshaft... here in romania you can't find to easy a Polo GT so for a while it stays stock (and because its a buget build i can't afford to give 2-300euro for an aftermarket one)
With the original internals what is the highest boost that I can run in a daily driven car?
For the oil cooling what is better, water or aer cooling?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:42:53 pm by Hunor »

Offline Hunor

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 05:01:48 pm »
Hey guys, can you answer the uper questions? And I would add a nother one: insted of the GT f3 camshaft can I use one from a golf 3 1.6 ABU?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:24:36 am »
For a pressure switch, the type used with water injection kits work well (Aquamist etc...).  I got mine from this place:

http://www.pvl.co.uk/no-nc-contact-pressure-switches.html

You'll probably find stuff on ebay too.

As for the cam & a remap, it's not going to work very well using the standard ones.  It'd be better staying with the G-Lader if you're not going to change those things.  The characteristics of the standard cam don't suit a turbo.  A GT cam is a compromise to save money, ideally buy a shrick 268/268.

Offline xrrich

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 12:47:17 pm »
I have a brand new PVL pressure switch for sale of you want it
PVL prices are always going up!
Already set to 6psi
Let me know if you want it I can find it out

Offline Hunor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 06:43:51 pm »
I wrote a mail to PPP, and soon I'll get on offer for a chip (made for the specs that my engine have) and for the shipping price to Romania.
I already orderd a pressure swich from the ebay. And I'm planing on buying a new cam but i don't have yet the founds for it, thats why I asked about the cam from the ABU, because I have one home.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 09:15:38 am »
I've never tried one but I think an ABU cam should work better than a g40 one. 

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 11:52:31 am »
ABU is fairly close to 3F in duration and lift, so might work okay. An aftermarket 268° camshaft would be even better.

What variant of K03 are you using? If it's one of the largest ones, then an ABU or 3F cam might work well.

Offline Hunor

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 12:35:41 pm »
I just talked to soneone who has majured an F3 cam and an ABU cam, and they ar the same. So the cam problem is fixed for now :D
I'm using a combined K03, the air intake part and the middel part (with the turbines) are from a Skoda 1.8t 150bhp, and the exaust part is from an audi K03. They fit together perfectly.

Now I'm waiting for an answer from PPP.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:38:10 pm by Hunor »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 03:03:25 pm »
an ABU cam and a 3F (as in GT) cam?  Fairly sure they're not the same.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »
ABU and 3F are slightly different according to my info:
http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=235735&p=2166614

You have an email back from PPP Hunor. ;) For some reason your replies had gone into our spam folder.

Offline Hunor

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 05:47:02 pm »
I've got the mail, I like the offer, I sent a reply with some questions. Probably next month I'll order the chip, till then I need new and bigger injectors :D If the chip is for 250cc injectors can I put biger ones in like from a Golf mk4 1.8t, 317cc? You guys throw around with G60 injectors and GT parts like you could find them at any corner :P In my whole life I seen only one G60, and I can count all of them in Romania on one hand.