Author Topic: AFH turbo  (Read 15460 times)

Offline robt

• Members
  • Seat Ibiza 2.0 16V F1.5 Hillclimb Race Car
AFH turbo
« on: March 08, 2014, 08:29:15 am »
Hi folks

What places are known experts on building AFH turbos? What bits are available?

I am interested in building one for racing as it would fit nicely in the sub 2L category, (1400x turbo factor of 1.4).

I read that Sorg persuaded 370hp out of one, and thats the kind of number i'm looking for. Certainly not worth doing for less than 350.

All advice and direction very welcome!

Cheers

Rob
(seat ibiza hillclimber, 250hp 2L 16v, sequential 02a box, big slicks).

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: AFH turbo
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:21:14 am »
It will produce a lot of bhp, but you need a lot of money to make one...
A 1.6 i have built it made 200hp with only 0.8 bar of boost

What info do you exactly need?

Offline robt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 12:25:30 pm »
I dont know which engine builders / tuners who have much experience with these engines - my experience is with 2L 16V golf mainly. So I am trying to find out if I can buy a built engine from a good tuner, or whether I have to build one. If I need to build one, I need to know if anyone makes race parts such as crank, rods, pistons, valves, turbo cams, intake/exhaust manifolds etc.

Its always possible to have anything made, but its also easier if someone has experience already in doing this???

Thanks

Rob

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 01:26:44 pm »
I dont know which engine builders / tuners who have much experience with these engines - my experience is with 2L 16V golf mainly. So I am trying to find out if I can buy a built engine from a good tuner, or whether I have to build one. If I need to build one, I need to know if anyone makes race parts such as crank, rods, pistons, valves, turbo cams, intake/exhaust manifolds etc.

Its always possible to have anything made, but its also easier if someone has experience already in doing this???

Thanks

Rob

Unfortunately, these engines do not have a huge variety of tuning parts. The only hard thing to make is the rods. You have to modify a AGU 1.8t 20vt one to fit in the stock crank. All the others are of the self and you can find them...

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 06:09:24 pm »
Rob are you restricted to an AFH block because it came in the Ibiza when it was sold?

Reason I ask is you'd most likely end up with a bespoke crank (amongst other things) for the power you're aiming for. Might be worth considering a de-stroked big block? I'm surprised more Berg boys aren't doing this to 20v motors in both NA and FI forms. In the scheme of things they're not *that* expensive..

I've been doing a little mock-up of my own, but on a PY block as this was available in the Mk3 Polo (G40) from factory.

Both heads are nicely made, I'm hoping to flow test them at some point.

Pete

Offline robt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 06:28:17 pm »
Hiya Pete
Yes, for mod prod regs, the engine block must be as originally fitted to the model of car. AFH was fitted to mk2 ibiza so its ok to use. Have thought of a destroked big block, a lot, for quite some time, but it would probably need liners and destroke to make it work, just destroke might leave it a bit gutless. Everything would need making. So i reckoned that might as well go with a good cyl head and a lighter block. I know of several 1600 20vt engines running to great success. Whats the difference between those two heads? Is one a bucket follower and the other a finger follower?

Offline robt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:55:31 pm »
Pauter 138mm rods:

http://pauter.com/parts/rods/audi-vw/

Cat Cams

http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/VW_Polo_1.4_Gti_16v___Lupo_1.4_16v__101hp_.html

Although no specfic turbo cams mentioned - email away to enquire of they have them or can do them

CNC heads for cyl head work:

http://www.cncheads.co.uk/?p=831

CNC might actually be a good company to do a full race turbo AFH engine - thet are part of Ric Wood's place I think

http://www.ricwood.com/

Crank, pistons, dry sump to find still......

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 08:32:16 am »
Rob- worth having a chat to FELD Motorsport in Germany, done plenty of Berg cup motors (CBR heads on Polo blocks etc)

http://www.feld-motorsport.de/vw-polo-86---86c.html

Regarding the heads- yup spot on, the later (red rocker cover) 16v head is roller finger follower and has single camshaft phasing too. Port and valves sizes are identical to the earlier AFH head. Although you can't see it on the picture the later head is driven by a single camshaft pulley- then has an internal belt too.

I believe JE have off the shelf AFH pistons, not sure what CR though.

Pete

Offline robt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 10:20:11 pm »
Cheers Pete - email away to Feld - bet they do a dry sump kit

Accralite do AFH pistons, in UK also so no hassle to get some turbo ones made seeing as they have regular ones listed

http://www.accralite.com/accralite/index1.htm

Just a crank to find now.....

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 04:23:41 pm »
Cheers Pete - email away to Feld - bet they do a dry sump kit

Accralite do AFH pistons, in UK also so no hassle to get some turbo ones made seeing as they have regular ones listed

http://www.accralite.com/accralite/index1.htm

Just a crank to find now.....

I dont think that you will find one

Offline robt

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 08:51:23 pm »
How about using a steel g40 crank?

Offline robt

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 10:40:24 pm »
Rosten performance have rods and turbo pistons. Still no crank.

Offline robt

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 09:21:44 am »
Ok - good news - found an obviously knowledgeable chap who knows these and other VAG engines and speaks English.

Std crank is plenty good enough, and 350hp definately doable, more if fancy fuel was allowed. Std cams very good for turbo application. Needs stainless or inconel exhaust valves. Head ports are perfect size and just need a mild cleanup. Engine with turbo and associated paraphanalia much lighter than a 2L 16V lump.

We like that  ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:23:41 am by robt »

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:39 pm »
Stock cams are not efficient after 6000rpm... The best solution for these engines are the 264/264 setup and go for catcams retainers and springs. Its a must...
As you said stock ports are almost in perfect dimension but you can gain a little more hp with additional porting...
You can go far more than you imagine with a 1600 setup, ajv block with afh head..

This 6n2 monster produced more than 450 hp with a gt2871...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:01:49 pm by Alexiskayak_7 »

Offline robt

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 10:00:13 pm »
This engine is for racing so maximum is 1423cc, and block must be same as that fitted originally to Mk2 Seat Ibiza - so I must use AFH block. 1423cc as turbo multiplier is 1.4x and this makes it fit in <2000cc class.

Is there any link for details about that 6N2 engine?