Author Topic: Help please..! Noisy top end?  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Richvw18

• Members
Help please..! Noisy top end?
« on: March 14, 2014, 10:36:26 pm »
Took the g40 out today on a 30 mile round trip...nearly half way through the trip i noticed that the oil
Light started to flicker a lil when the revs droped but then went off. So on i went. When i got back home
I let her stand for a while then checked the oil level...it did look a lil low so i put i bit in just to make sure.

So..later when i set off home..which is 40 miles ...the topend or something sounded really tappy again...every time i put my foot on the gas a lil...?? I will have to investigate it tomorrow.

Any help would be good thanks....the temperature gauge dident move much..just stuck below running temp...

Offline z3i

• Members
Re: Help please..! Noisy top end?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:49:20 pm »
Mine did something similar to this, sounded awfull, really rough knocking. a month later and it was fine!? and been fine since
when i took the oil filler off with the engine running i noticed the g40 heads dont have a lot of oil flowing round them

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 07:29:29 am »
My g used to get well raspy after motorway driving in summer.... was tappets full of crud. I cleaned them out and was fine for a year then started again.   Replaced tappets and was quiet as.

So  decent tappets and if it still does bit u need an oil cooler!

Offline Richvw18

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 09:24:16 am »
Thanks lads.....
im looking into it now.....pete..u remember when i asked you about pressure build up in the engine and you said clean the breather out...which i did....could it be anything todo with that u wonder..?

Offline Richvw18

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 12:37:53 pm »
Ive also noticed that there is oil comeing from the throttle body outlet as after doing the boost return mod i put a filter on there and its wet with oil....?....?

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 01:25:29 pm »
Sounds like a charger seal is seeping

Offline Richvw18

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 01:32:00 pm »
Mmmmm..just had the charger done too....but if ive got pressure build up then thats why its seeping i guess....
Crap....strip down it is i guess....

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 07:43:12 pm »
Start the engine and disconnect the charger to intercooler pipe. Give it a few throttle blips with a tissue under the outlet. See if excess oil is passing through the pipe work

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 07:48:13 pm »
There should be no oil in the intake pipes if you've done the return mod, sounds a bit worrying if youve just had it rebuilt! :( theres a restriction in the feed to the charger so i wouldnt have thought a blocked breather would make any difference to an oil seal in the charger leaking

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 08:02:43 pm »
*outlet of charger! To check for dud seals

Offline Richvw18

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 10:02:55 pm »
I asked pete about it possibley making bottom end pressure thus forcing oil out of places and popping the oil seal in the charger...he said sometimes the breather pod can get blocked and cause too much pressure..

Ive had all the breather pod off today and its like new now....

If it has blown an oil seal again in the charger..which i think it has because theres excess oil sat in the intercooler pipe work to throttle body.
which oil seal will it be? And if it does this again..what the hell is happening..??