Author Topic: Toothed pullys....good or bad idea...??  (Read 8312 times)

Offline Richvw18

• Members
Toothed pullys....good or bad idea...??
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:14:25 pm »
Hey all....im thinking of putting on toothed pullys or micro v belt kit...
Anyone had any dealings with any of them.....ive heard bad things about the toothed kits buggering up the charger but im looking For advice...

Offline gaz g40

• Members
Re: Toothed pullys....good or bad idea...??
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:45:27 pm »
Each person had there own opinion. I ran toothies an never had a problem. I swopped belts every 6month to make sure everything was good. Plus toothies were invented by vw motorsport why would they use them if they wasnt better? But like i say each to there own its like asking whats best standard or doing the boost return mod

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:57:36 pm »
I've had them on mine for seven years, and (touch wood) I've never had any problems.

Admittedly it isn't a daily any more but it did about 13,000 miles in the first year after they went on, didn't throw a belt or knacker the charger then, and hasn't done with several track days behind it. I much prefer the power delivery (though I prefer the noise of V-belts) and don't have to worry about over-tightening the pulley against the main bearings (which is just as bad, and a problem for V-belt setups).

BUT I don't hit the limiter, and I don't stab at the throttle like a maniac. Use a bit of mechanical sympathy and your car will thank you for it.

Offline Richvw18

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:40:25 pm »
Thanks lads.....ill have a look into some kits....alex...u said you liked the noise ov v-belts...u mean the original set up.....?
.i heard That toothed belts are ment to make a nice noise too or is this rubbish....?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:08:47 am »
They make a good noise, but I like the deep whirr of V-belts (the standard ones) more. Just personal preference.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:22:14 am »
I always see people saying "I've heard stories of people blowing up chargers", but I've never ever met one of these people it apparently happens to all the time.  I reckon it's no more than hearsay and rumours.

I ran toothies for years too, including when my car was a daily driver and on several track days.  Never had any problems at all, never even had a belt snap.

It's a combination of buying a decent kit (i.e. not from ebay), using a belt with the correct tooth profile (i.e. not a timing belt), not over tightening (less than v-belts, much less, more like tensioning a timing belt) and replacing the belt every so often as a preventative measure rather than just keep running it till it snaps (again, like you would with a timing belt).

As for kits, mine was one of the very first sets that PSD sold so was the same as the "phase 1" set that Pete sold on here recently.  If you see one of those kits then just buy it, they are the best.

Offline Richvw18

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 12:40:44 pm »
the only toothed belt kits i can get hold of are from bar-tek and max-rpm...both look ok kits.both with steel pullys..has anyone seen these or had one...?
And does anyone know the real difference in profile of a timing belt and the toothed pully belt as some kits ive seen use a, gates 20mm optibelt....?

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 12:43:21 pm »
The only kit iv run is a bartek kit an they seem pretty forgiving on the belts aswell. Never had psd items so cant comment on them

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 12:47:49 pm »
One of the advantages of running toothies to me is also the lightweight of the alloy ones so I personally would wait for a set of PSD ones to come up. Thats just me though.

I have also run toothies for many miles and never had a problem with them apart from the odd belt issue but thats becuase I'm tight and waited for the belt to die before changing it. I would say these days I prefer the v belts myself also becuase you can actually hear the charger rather than just the belts.

Offline Richvw18

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 12:55:40 pm »
Thanks lads....wear would i even get a psd kit from if i went for that one...ive searched everywear to look at one but carnt find anywear....

Offline Richvw18

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 01:00:50 pm »
at the moment im running the standard setup. i asked for some new belts fitted when i had the charger serviced the belts are obviousley v belts but these have no teeth on them there just flat....anyone run these b4....

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 01:54:05 pm »
I've got the bar tek steel toothies kit and really like it, it's louder than the alloy ones but personally think thats better
They also come with proper conti grip belts and are really well machined, had mine on for about 10k now with no troubles and I've driven it hard
Think I paid £150 new which is pretty good when the belt alone is nearly £30!
Taylpr

Offline Matty!

• Members
  • G40 Clubsport Build / BMW M2
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 08:18:50 pm »
Running Bartek pulleys aswell with no issues, sound cool as aswell!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 07:51:43 am »
Running Bartek pulleys aswell with no issues, sound cool as aswell!

Must be because it's steel or maybe the profile is different but it sounds alot more epic than alloy :) going through tunnels in Switzerland was awesome!! All my mate in front could hear with his roof down was the charger screaming through the tunnel haha :D

Offline Richvw18

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 11:42:33 am »
I got the bar-tek toothed setup last week..all steel pullys....need to sort other issues out with the engine and charger b4 i can put them on.