Author Topic: Two g40's for sale Red one now sold  (Read 8419 times)

Offline stu

• Members
Two g40's for sale Red one now sold
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:48:45 pm »
Welcome to my sale of two g40's.

The much better one is a 1992 registration in metallic grey. I bought it 18 months ago from it's original lady owner with only 34000 miles on the clock. It has now done 42000 with no problems, and I believe it to be the second lowest mileage G40 left. There are a series of MoTs to substantiate the mileage.

Totally original with the exception of a replacement full stainless steel exhaust system, it has an MoT to July 4th..

It has a very tidy original interior but some paint bubble on the bottom rear corner of the driver's  door and odd scratches that you might expect on a 22 year old car.

Sunroof.
Recent radio/cd/mp3 player.
Foglights ( not working ).

£ 3500

This one is now sold.
The other one is a project. Again 1992 but in red, I bought it in 2001 as the tenth owner, and it has now done 14600 miles. The engine and supercharger were changed about 10000 miles ago for a unit from a Polish car which I believe had only done 65000 miles at that time. However, it has now been off the road for over four years, although dry stored and started regularly. Therefore no MoT.

Larger brakes from a Ibiza GT
Road legal tyres on rather blingy 15" alloys
Original interior in good condition.
Radio with the car but not connected
Some surface rust, though no actual holes.
And, probably unique to G40's, a tow hitch.
Original engine ( seized) with the car.

£ 800

Regretably, neither car is taxed or insured it won't be possible to road-test them.

Located just outside Bedale in North Yorkshire. Phone 01677470319.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:09:37 pm by stu »

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Two g40's for sale
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 02:04:34 pm »
Whereabouts are you please?

Offline stu

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 02:11:43 pm »
Sorry, have now aded that information

Stuart Gibson

Offline forbes-1234

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:03:00 pm »
I would be interested in the first one if it was more realistically price
3.5k is the going rate for a reasonable high spec g
this may be original and low millage but it doesnt look the cleanest

Offline stu

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:03:39 pm »
Hi, it stands me to more than that. But it's main asset is it's low mileage and originality. A great basis for an upgrade.
s

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 06:40:17 pm »
On the grey one other then the door is there any more rust you know of?..inside boot, battery tray, around windscreen, ever looked behind the arch trims? are the sills good?

Offline stu

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 07:34:22 pm »
Looks OK to me. No rust in the boot, I've never been under it. It looks like a cat has scratched the bonnet paint a little.
S

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:51:21 pm »
I was at the auction where you bought it Stu. Well assuming that's where you got the grey one.
It may be you I was talking to outside near the car and if so we spoke briefly to a fat woman with a John Cooper works mini which if I remember right was a crème or white one.
You said she talked a bit of bull do about it.
If it was you I talked to then you stood at the back bidding while I sat near to the old couple selling it nearer the front.
That Lady lives 3 mile from me in Barnoldswick and she had it from new.
I was quite shocked at the auction as to what had happened to it as it was a minter.
Strange that in just a couple of years it ended up with the rust patch and the scratches.
Looked to me like she'd driven it through a spikey hedge backwards lol.
I actually thought the next time it turned up that someone would have minted it but I guess time and money an all that.
Least you've done some miles in it so enjoyed it some.

Fred.

Offline Marcus

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 07:50:23 am »
Fred, I have sent you a PM about this car. Thanks, Marcus.

Offline stu

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 09:56:09 am »
Hi, Fred,

You've got the right car. I initially intended an upgrade it but decided as it was so original not to do so. The cat scratches and rust on the door were on it when I bought it. Cars are for driving, not polishing.

S

Offline Marcus

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 05:58:40 pm »
Hi Stu,
After thinking again about the long journey, those scratches and that rusty door  I am afraid I have decided not to come and look at the grey G60 tomorrow after all.I apologize for lifting your hopes unnecessarily.
For the £3500 asked; in my opinion; I would expect to find a near concours car.
Your statement that "cars are for driving not polishing" left me cold,and was the final reason why I have lost interest...
With regret.
Marcus.

Offline apeks

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 07:41:17 pm »
Hi Stu,
After thinking again about the long journey, those scratches and that rusty door  I am afraid I have decided not to come and look at the grey G60 tomorrow after all.I apologize for lifting your hopes unnecessarily.
For the £3500 asked; in my opinion; I would expect to find a near concours car.
Your statement that "cars are for driving not polishing" left me cold,and was the final reason why I have lost interest...
With regret.
Marcus.

Probs best to keep comms like this to the PM system.

Offline stu

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 07:51:10 pm »
Hi, Marcus,

I'm sorry you've changed your mind. I notice you've had contact with a guy called Fred on this forum and am interested to know what he has told you. I feel I have described the car honestly but if there is something you think I should know about please tell me. Has Fred got a different agenda, like I outbid him at the auction 18 months ago ?

Stuart

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 12:09:43 am »
Actually Stu. I didn't bid. I was there mainly because my boss wanted the BSA Bantoms.
We only went because of the BSA's and if you ask the old Lady, she may recall that I said I wouldn't of gone that far with it as there  were better cars for less money.
I'll say this now then that I was actually shocked that someone paid so much for it and with commission well! Guess you justified that.
If it was you I was talking to outside then you will know that I did Not even bid especially because you positioned yourself at the back so that I wouldn't see who it was.
Had it slowed approaching 2k I may have bid.
As I recall you said you had not gone to the auction to bid on that car but to either sell or find out about some relations paintings.
But of course I realize now that you had every intension to bid on it. I did not feel I had to be Sly about anything of the car.
For me it needed far too much money to make it how I would like it to be. I had and still have a Tornado red G40 that needs enough time and money spending on it without buying another.
Some people buy them, do some miles then get rid a year later. Some want to restore as well as drive them.
Whatever your into.
I didn't reply to pm with anything other than what happened at the auction. I took a lot of pics of the car for nostalgic and layout purposes especially under the bonnet as it was quite standard looking.
I find it odd what your saying here.
Have you something to be paranoid about.
I certainly haven't.

Fred.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:03:03 am by Fred »

Offline Craig g

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 02:30:39 pm »
Interested in the red one if the price comes down a little as I was selling mine without tax and mot with a forged engine and very good spec for very close to the price youve asked, I'll pm you