Author Topic: 1982 Black BMW E21 316 £2800-£3500 Manc  (Read 4027 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
1982 Black BMW E21 316 £2800-£3500 Manc
« on: February 04, 2014, 02:45:27 pm »

Spec when purchased

BMW 316 E21
    Ordered on 20th August 1982 with optional extras - Manual Sliding Sunroof, 5-Speed Gearbox & a Blaunkpunt Radio/Cassette in the Colour Black with Anthracite Trim for an on-the-road price of £6,981,
    Built on the 4th October 1982
    Purchased on the 4th November 1982 from Hexagon of Highgate
    1,766cc
    114,982 miles
    Purchased by a husband for his wife, the car remained in her possession in Tottridge until March 1989 where it was sold to her brother, in Chester.

Woken from a 7 year slumber, he wrote his own advert with spritely enthusiasm.

Excerpt from the ebay advert when purchased 2 years ago.

"Ello, I am a BMW 316 E21
    I was made in October 1982 (I am 30 years old) and I have been with the same family all my life.
    I have travelled 114982 miles and always been very well looked after.
    For the last 7 years I have been locked up in a garage and now I am free to travel and enjoy my old age.
    Oh by the way, I'm in pretty good condition for an old boy."

Since then it has had :-

New Track control arms
    Replace brake fluid, check disks for warping, check bushes and joints for play
    Oiled and grease the door hinges
    Drained oil and coolant, replace oil filter and fluids
    Replaced fuel filter
    Gave the paintwork a g3 and wax
    Removed 2 1/2 coils from the front springs
    Changed the diff and gearbox oil
    New sparks, dizzy cap, anti-freeze.
    Fitted rear speakers and a sub/amp in the boot
    Fitted Fiesta RS front seats
    MSW alloy wheels made in the 1980's - 15x7 4x100, with 195/45/15 Nankang NS2's.

I also have to fit:-

Brand new RPM Gaz GHA Front Coilovers
    New wheel bearings front & rear
    Volvo 4-pot calipers
    323i discs (new)
    1.8 16v M44 engine from an e36 (comes complete with ECU, Loom, 4 branch and downpipe, gearbox, linkage, propshaft)
    Bike carb flange for M10 engine
    New water pump for M10 engine
    Spax rear lowering springs

Bad points :-

Early last year, I think the headgasket went, the old girl was supping water like a beast. A can of steel-seal later and the car has been fine, albeit returning 25mpg. Hence the purchase of the M44 engine.
    Leaves the new owner the choice of either restoring the original engine, or replacing for a healthy 140bhp which offers the best all round drivability in an e21.

Steering wobble - Unbalanced & Untracked front wheels, been too busy to sort, perils of a daily driver!

Braking wobble - warped discs or sticking calipers. Braking performance is still reasonable, but won't be any good for after the engine is converted, hence the puchase of the 4 pot (bolt on) conversion.

Very few spots of rust, couple of bubbles under the rear windows, and a couple of blisters on the rear panel. All easily sortable, don't let this detract you, as the car has been very well looked after only being owned by 1 family.

Starter motor sticks occasionally - knock with a hammer and it's fine. Needs whipping off and regreasing.

All said and done, it sounds worse than it is. I drive the car every day and its been faultless. It just wants a bit of time spending on sorting out the niggles but I currently don't have the room as theres a few cars in the queue!

£3500 including all spare parts
    - £300 if not including Coilovers.
    - £200 if not including M44 engine.
    - £200 if supplying your own wheels

Pictures will be uploaded later this evening
Car is located in Manchester.

I am not open to offers unfortunately, I do not have another daily to drive at the moment, and do not require the money, however with owning 5 cars - I do need to start thinning the flock. (Plus I am a VW guy at heart!)

I am open to swaps/px's for a modern TDI daily, ideally a PD engine as this could be later converted into my Mk1 Golf, but try me

Please email yousafn at gmail.com

ta muchly
Saf

Forgot to add, car in MOT'd until Oct 2014, taxed until May 2014 iirc although will need to check this.

Done 126kish now
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:49:02 pm by grungeisdead »

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: 1982 Black BMW E21 316 £2800-£3500 Manc
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:08:51 am »

Hopefully this link will lead you to more pictures

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151237640761343.505663.511441342&type=1&l=0c3d9b7617

Few pointers

The hazard switch is missing, it stuck in the on position on saturday, so I have removed it to strip it down and fix it.

Rust spots - front and rear of drivers side rear window, rear of passengers rear window, corner edges of bonnet, rear above bumper.

Paint issues - Slight blistering on passenger rear arch in 2 spots, crazing to the paint in area about the rear arch, scratch on bonnet from prev owner removing bird grime (not pictured)

Driver side recaro still to fit, car is my daily and have travelled 15k in 15 months, and despite its faults (its a 32 year old car!) it has been an absolute trooper. Done 350 miles this weekend, and got the front tyres changed (to 195/50/15s) and stuck on the back, with the 195/45s on the front. Same make as before Nankang NS-2s