Author Topic: Need help to get her moving.  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Agent47

• Members
Need help to get her moving.
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:32:45 pm »
Help diagnosing please.

Car was hesitating after full throttle on the journey home a few nights ago and after full throttle cut out all together. Managed to get it home ok though. Had a look at it today and couldn't see anything loose etc. Went for a drive today and was misfiring badly, when it inevitablely cut out it sounds like the fuel pump was continously priming. I suspect/been advised it's something to do with the the FPR and the ratty vacuum hose that is pretty much hanging off it (silicone replacement arrived yesterday).

Any help would be most welcome.
Thanks
Luke

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Need help to get her moving.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 06:36:35 pm »
Hmmm I'd whip plugs out to check first. Misfire often ignition related. Coil, leads, plugs etc.

Worst case? Melted piston!!!!!!

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:50:33 pm »
Mine was struggling to start and not behaving under full throttle. Turned out a newish coil pack sorted it

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 06:59:31 pm »
Plugs and leads are quite new, plugs couldn't have done more than 1000 miles. I know that the whole ignition system has been changed in the last 5000 miles. The coil would be my only bet out of all of those. These things wouldn't explain the continuous fuel pump priming though right?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:00:20 pm »
Hall sender breaking/broken down.

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:18:11 pm »
Right, finally got a chance to check out the g again (been in Italy and then hospital to have my appendix out).
The fuel pump is priming but for longer than usual, but then continues to pump albeit at a different tone. And will not start. Before i left for Italy (2 weeks ago), one of the relays was ticking. Since disconnecting the battery and removing both the relays by the ecu and checking for corrosion and replaced them, there has been no reoccurance of the ticking.

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 08:58:42 pm »
Finally got a working car again. A combination of stiff suspension and terrible roads managed to shake the chip out of my ecu. Misery over and improvements can continue!