Author Topic: Battery tray rust  (Read 7273 times)

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
Battery tray rust
« on: February 01, 2014, 02:35:32 pm »
Hi guys, so as we all know by now, the battery trays just love to rust through in most polo's ;D

So im going to be cutting the rust out, cleaning the area back and re-welding it up. Then seal all the welds and repaint.

My question is, can it be done from inside the engine bay, or will I need to drop the dash down and get at it from the underside?
I really dont fancy taking the dash out, but dont want anything to catch, burn while Im welding it.

Most of you must be experts in this area as its so common  :D

Thanks for you help.

Dave   

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Battery tray rust
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 02:51:33 pm »
Dash out and carpet out to do a decent job really. Dash isn't too hard to get out.

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 03:18:36 pm »
Dash out and carpet out to do a decent job really. Dash isn't too hard to get out.

OK will get on with it then. Cheers

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:13:53 pm »
Haha getting a dash out isn't the easiest job, Ross(dub star ) took a while this morning getting one out the polo I'm breaking. Wondered why the mrs feet were getting wet. Turns out the battery tray was rotten to the size of half a Mars bar !! Mine needs doing so bad now !

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »
I find getting it back in to be the main issue! Comes out okay once the steering wheel and clocks are out if memory serves - should be some pics of this in my build thread.

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 07:36:29 pm »
Brilliant - I thought getting it out was I tw@ !

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 09:36:56 am »
mk3 polo dash has to be just about the easiest dash to remove ever!  Really can't see how you'd struggle much with one. 

I'd definitely take that and the front carpets out, the carpet and underlay stuff will catch fire really easily.

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 09:43:42 pm »
In hindsight what happened was the tapered centre dowel had formed a bond with the donut grommet, so when everything was free it felt like it was still fixed in somehow.

Just took a bit of torch action 'n head scratching before I was satisfied that it just needs brute force to set it free!

Just foxed me for a bit.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:54:23 am »
When in doubt, bust the hammer and grinder out =D

Much like whipping an engine out, there's always one last thing you forgot to undo!