Author Topic: Standalone oil supply users  (Read 17198 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Standalone oil supply users
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 06:48:34 pm »
I looked at them scavenge pumps and read that it wouldnt be good for he use of a standalone, cant remember what it was but if i see it again i will let you know.

I only went for fully syn oil as the fella from opie oils had said they tested this oil for other superchargers and thats good enough for me. I have known some people to run their g40 on full syn.

Charger doesnt get as hot as it used to as well.

Paul i had it mounted on rubber floor matting, about 10mm think wrapped around my subframe. Was soo noisy.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 07:00:02 pm »
Was it this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Scavenge-Gear-Pump-12-volt-Turbo-Oil-Evacuation-New-12v-BEST-DEAL-/150710724796?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23170f28bc

If so 2.5 gallons per minute is far too much pumping rate. My oil tank is only 1 litre so i would need a bigger tank.

This is a good read and where i found the scavenge pump thing i mentioned about. The pump is the same as in the ebay link except there is a normal and super version. Super being a higher psi.

"If used for pressure feed,both pumps will pump up to 40 psi or greater but the Super pump is rated at 40 psi constant whereas the Standard pump is rated at 25 psi constant. Trying to runs higher pressures will overload the pumps and burn up the motors. It's a question of the torque required.  Keep in mind that turbos do not need 3 gallons per minute feed, so to prevent overworking the pump motor the oil must be by-passed back to the feed side of the pump or to the oil reservoir. Typically this is done in a "Tee" fitting after the pump discharge with an AN4 feed to the turbo and an AN6 bypass line with an orifice restrictor to the oil reservoir. All pumps must be fused @ 10 Amps"

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:04:58 pm by Jezza-7 »

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 09:09:01 pm »
That's a good read! It says those exact pumps can be used for remote oil systems on turbos, the ratings are max ratings, if you made your own return system after its passed through the charger it will just return to the catch tank, shouldn't really matter on size as it will just keep pumping it round and round? Correct if me if I'm wrong or missed something :S

The psi should be quite high anyway, I mean the oil pressure readings you get at the top of your head at redline are pretty high! So really the pump needs to be the same? For when at high rpm, I would have thought

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 10:44:29 pm »
depends how long your lines to and from the charger would be. It might suck it soo quick that the tank could become nearly empty.

Doesnt have to be high. My engine pressure rarely goes above 60 psi when up to temp. Also i would like to know what pressure the charger actually receives from the engine as some people mentioned about putting restrictors in the lines, technically it already has them = the banjo bolt and the really small hole in the banjo union. I compared my thought to be original banjo to a genuine vw banjo i bought and the internal bore size is different as well.

Someone on here said they saw a psi drop as revs increased, around 5k or something then the psi went back up. Will try dig that up. If that pump produces 25psi that would be more than fine for it. Pumps produce flow not pressure so really if the psi is dropping, to me that means that the oil is flowing better through it getting cleaner cooler oil through the hot bearings and taking the heat away.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 10:49:56 pm »
Found it

I'm using Joe Gibbs XP0 oil, a Facet cube pump ( good for all of 7psi) and an alloy catch tank.
Oil temp. sits at about 50 degrees. Pressure is interesting as it sits at 5 psi on idle, drops to 3psi as the revs increase, which looks as if the charger bearings  start to suck in the oil, then rises to 7psi above 6k. Looking at a Walbro fuel pump at £85 giving 15psi.

What Pim said about particles in the oil is true. When I first ran my standalone, it flushed a very small amount of micron dimension ferrous material from the charger which attached itself to the magnetic plug in the catch tank

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 10:22:59 am »
Ahh ok cheers dude :) I would have bought that otherwise, I'll stick to that mocal one then :)
Could they possibly have a restriction in the charger feed to prevent majority of the oil going straight through the charger, if it was just a huge hole the head would get less oil? Or am I thinking about this wrong? Heads on g40's don't seem to get a great deal of oil anyway

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 10:31:28 pm »
Not too sure what you mean about restriction?

I still wouldn't buy a mocal one, they are too expensive. The 1st mocal one you wont be able to use due to the oil needing to reach 70 c.

2nd one is very expensive but the one from america would be great it its output was less. I would look at maybe something like Spur gear pumps. There really good and are positive displacement too. Get used on our aircraft as well and they rarely get broke.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 10:39:36 pm »
This would be better if the output was less but could always add a tee piece to bleed pressure off and its in the UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Diesel-Oil-Water-Transfer-Pump-Gear-Drive-/331047534261?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d13f87eb5
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:41:28 pm by Jezza-7 »

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 07:10:02 am »
Thanks James :) sorry for short replies, been soo dam busy! Haven't even had a chance to start the polo lol
Should see it at the moment, is multi coloured, on axle stands in the street :( bad times

That price is a good price too! Have you got a separate oil pressure gauge for your standalone system incase the pump fails? It would be good to hook it up to a buzzer so if it fails the alarm goes off and you know straight away to turn her off

Offline OCDmatt

• Traders
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 11:24:45 am »
Jezza, have you got part numbers or a link to the pump you're using?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:06 pm »
This is the same as the one im using:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/facet-solid-state-electric-fuel-pump-5-0-7-0-psi-fac-ss

Price varies a lot with these.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 10:12:27 pm »
Not got nothing on it mate.

I have had one fail before, did about 50 miles of driving knowing it wasn't working with no problems either. Scary really.

I have got a double banjo bolt ready got the outlet of the charger, just saving up for a mechanical low pressure fuel gauge so i can see what pressure its at.

Offline OCDmatt

• Traders
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 08:58:37 am »
Cool, I was looking at similar but unsure what to pick up.

Found these though too - http://www.advancedautomotives.com/mini-cooper-1098-1275-facet-posi-flow-fuel-petrol-pump-unit-fast-road-track-2292-p.asp

Plastic body, thinking it might be better for engine bay use as it won't rust/age so easy.

That's rated at 7-10psi

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 09:34:34 am »
I used pretty much the same one jezza did. 

It stopping working was always a slight worry, mine never did but still.  I had a mechanical pressure gauge (much faster acting than electric ones).  I did always think it'd be a good idea to fit a pressure switch to the charger outlet and wire it up to a buzzer if the pressure ever went to zero.  I never got round to doing that before I put a turbo on instead though!

Offline OCDmatt

• Traders
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 06:51:35 pm »
Yeah, I think a pressure gauge would be necessary if I can turn it in to something to make available to customers.

Would hate for a pump to pack up and driver not know, bit different if you've built a kit yourself.