Author Topic: Lysholm supercharcher  (Read 35109 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Lysholm supercharcher
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 04:24:22 pm »
he was the owner who had the charger put in.

Offline samuel.cole

• Members
  • I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE ;)
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 04:55:20 pm »
so the engine itself is completely g40 standard?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 04:57:33 pm »
Yeah i believe so, i will ask sam himself about it.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 05:36:20 pm »
Yep, standard cup car engine.

Where you located?

Offline samuel.cole

• Members
  • I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE ;)
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 05:37:13 pm »
im in evesham, Worcestershire, why?

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 07:13:34 pm »
I do like the differant loader chargers that u can go for but after a while i think it would piss me off! A g60 charger is annoying tbo aswell but i like the noise to the g40 charger no to loud and dont annoy me tbo, its up to u mate they do sound cool as hell but are just too load imo but its nice to see differat chargers on polos so i say if u like it and the way it drives stick with it and make it as practical and fun as u can :)

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 07:21:46 pm »
To be honest, the main reason i want it is for reliability, i love the glader i think its awesome and i like how efficient it is. But i plan on alot more europe excursions and i really really really dont want my lader blowing up in a rural part of switzerland in the cold lol

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 12:41:09 am »
To be honest, the main reason i want it is for reliability, i love the glader i think its awesome and i like how efficient it is. But i plan on alot more europe excursions and i really really really dont want my lader blowing up in a rural part of switzerland in the cold lol
It likely won't, they're not as bad as people make out. My car has done 205k miles on 2 charger services, on the original charger. Keep it serviced and it'l be fine. Thats a thousand times easier than going Eaton or Lysholm. Turbo is the most reliable and less work than an Eaton.

Or, use a different car to go driving around in.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 01:54:55 am »
More reliable and less work? Why u people keep saying that, a turbo more reliable than a charger? A turbo conversion needs a turbo, exhaust manifold, downpipe, injectors, cam, oil and maybe water lines, program and a bigger intercooler just to make it run? How is that less work than an eaton? All an Eaton needs is the charger, pulleys from 6n, the brackets and pipework to the original intercooler and it will work trouble-free! Maybe some reprogramming would be ideal but mine was working fine for more than 5 years without one and still made 143hp!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 06:46:38 am »
Cheers justin, thats some pretty impressive results! Your running toothies and a 65mm pulley? It still worries me. The horror stories of peoples ladders blowing up after a fresh rebuild. Though ive done 5k since my rebuild, and it feels so smooth to turn by hand, hardly any resistance on the pulley

Not going eaton, not very effcient, they are power sapping and getting expensive now (for the ones with teflon blades)
Justin was saying its cheaper to stay glader than go turbo or eaton. Ive yet to see an eaton make good power too
Turbo is out of the question, too much hassle and just spent £1k on supercharger parts, toothies and ppp manifold, would be a waste, plus you loose that lovely whine :) looks like im staying lader then

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 08:56:21 am »
Ryan are you talking about a G60 charger in general?

When i bought my G40, it had a standard charger and never had a service. I never had it serviced till it came off the car and that had covered nearly 100k. It always ran an airbox with paper filter. VW never specified a service and i think that without a service they could go on for quite along time, more than the recommend mileage that people say. As mine did twice that. But everyone drives a car differently and every charger is different.

Its when you start putting induction kits on the charger (which let loads of small dirt particles through), 65mm pulleys (especially toothed) then doing the boost return mod (spraying grease inside which dirt sticks to) that fu**s them up. But thats boring not to do lol.

Most of the G60 guys are really against the boost return mod on the charger and also putting the induction kits on. You'd be surprised how many of them actually run standard air box's and some make 250bhp. They also run 68mm pulleys and very few people run toothed pulleys.

Turbo is more reliable than g-lader but its an expensive route to take.

There is a kit that is out for the G60 but could easily be made to suit a G40, with regards to boost return mod. Someone has made a blanking plate with an adapter on it, a 25mm hose and all you do it connect the hose to the breather and then to the charger blanking plate. You've got rid of the return of hot air but your still taking in the oil from crank which ideally the charger wants. Need to look into it though a bit more as i fancy this.

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 09:21:47 am »
Ryan are you talking about a G60 charger in general?

Dont get me wronge i dont think there is anything wringe with the g60 charger and if i could make my box stronger i would do it but all i was on about is noise conparison the g60 has a completly differant noise the the g40 imo i do like a loud charger i think it sound awsome when u here one screaming past you on the motorway but there is somthing i like about the g40 charger that makes me want to keep it.

I can still get 180 ish bhp out of one maybe 190 at a push and in a polo that waighs nothing, i think that plenty for road use. If i was going for reliability i would just go turbo and if i start doing more track i will propibly end up going turbo because of the power increase.

But saying that i cant say anything about eaton and lysholm becuse ive never ran one but there are loud and would do my head in after a while lol

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2013, 09:32:23 am »
Yeah, ive resorted back to standard air box and paper filter, no need for an induction kit (other than for cold ait intake)
People use too much ptfe spray on the boost return mod, and ive now done it as i wasnt happy with the oily/watery shit going back into the charger (cant be good for apex seals)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2013, 10:51:45 am »
G60 chargers are pretty quite imo. On a G40 they sound different with small pulleys but i think of it as more of a droney sound, and then when it boosts it sounds different again. When a G60 and G40 are next to each other both running standard pulleys they sound the same.

Taylor cause your running an airbox and using ptfe grease, with the boost mod, it should be fine.

What you wanna do is try modify the airbox like this:

http://www.swgmotorsport.com/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=172

That will be the best thing to do. But it might be a tight squeeze lol.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2013, 01:45:26 pm »
Been g60 researching already jezza? :P
Still cant believe you have both, might just get a loan and buy one lol, so dam awesome!