Author Topic: Matty's Polo G40  (Read 33172 times)

Offline dan182

• Members
Re: Matty's Polo G40
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 09:01:00 pm »
Nice car was it a6n2 splitter

Offline Matty!

• Members
  • G40 Clubsport Build / BMW M2
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 12:25:00 pm »
Yes a 6n one off say a 1996 polo, pretty direct fit just cut a few nicks to help it bend round the shape of the MK3 bumper.

Offline Matty!

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 12:29:41 pm »
UPDATE:

Ill start from the beginning, I took the car to AAS in Newcastle and dropped it off to get a 4-2-1 race system for the car, happy days, until they call me in the morning saying the jobs going to take too long so they have back healed the job... Awesome, especially after the 6 month waiting list. They said no one will take this on.

So I went around 10 minutes round the corner to a bloke who did do it! Took longer than expected but I wasn't in no rush but here we have it, a fully custom 4-2-1 Manifold - Decat with an outward rolled tip which is exactly what I wanted.

Ill let the pictures do the talking...

Untitled by Matty!, on Flickr

Manifold

So I'm really happy with it, Ill get a vid up soon.

Had the geometry setup for the Vagcars trackday @ Teesside Autodrome

VW Polo G40 by Kurt Blythman, on Flickr

Playing with the lift off oversteer :laugh:

Was really good fun on track, comparing it to the Audi it was so much more 'flicky' could do what you want it in and you could do it fairly predictable.

On one session I was literally loving the lift off oversteer it could achieve so was having a right good laugh!

Thats what this car is all about, having a laugh and a play! So chuffed with the KW's/Subframe/Exhaust mods!

Currently saving and amounting parts for a handful of reliability mods such as Oil Cooler and Alloy Radiator, Silicone Hoses ect, so thats next.

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 02:26:46 pm »
Love how people are using these on track  ;D

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 01:10:07 pm »
Do you know what the spec of this beast is now? reading the start of the thread you were unsure.

Looks really cool, like how clean it looks, think the black body and wheels works well.

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 06:48:10 pm »
Looking good man, sorry I didn't attend that track day monies tight at the moment sadly. Looks like I missed out.

When you getting them RS's sorted? :D

Offline Snave

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 11:56:15 am »
Really nice ride and set up man ! ::)

Offline Ben.lopo

• Members
  • Cereal
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 01:33:57 pm »
Looking sweet man where's the vid of the track day ;-)

Offline Matty!

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 10:13:29 am »
Got a video! Just my pap laptop keeps crashing when I upload... Ill get my mate to do it at some point :)

Also, not too sure on the spec TBH, once winter comes I am going to see if its ported which I am assuming so...

Ported the charger outlet myself too, and also cleaned out that strainer at the bottom which looked to have not been cleaned out for a very long while, raised the boost by .15 bar too so shows how much it can hold the car back.

Anywho got the show wheels on for a few up and coming shows then Ill revert back to the RA's as im off to the ring early October!

14" BBS RS's :D

Polo G40 by Matty!, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:17:23 am by Matty! »

Offline Matty!

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 06:07:35 pm »
Bit of progress has happened on this...

I originally bought an Oil Cooler to start with, but after booking a Nurburgring trip it was time for the snowball effect to occur, so I set about focusing on reliability mods for the car.

Its temperature has always fluctuated in traffic from 90*- a nail biting 110* so I set about finiding solutions... 

I first started with an APS Oil Cooler, Mocal Thermostatic Sandwhich Plate and braided lines, but then I couldnt resist a set of SFS Coolant hoses to neaten up the bay, then I found it really hard to resist an aluminium race rad.

During this time the clutch decided to start slipping like a b*stard so that was abit of unplanned splashing out but whilst it was in the pipeline its worth doing right I suppose.

Ill start with the radiator:
Here is the sexy rad...

Made some braces for the slimline cooling fan:

Then I went to the easy task of fitting this brass fan switch...

Turns out the Einstein who made the Radiator put a M20 X1.5 thread in, when the polo's is M22X1.5. As this radiator is used in the kit car world I thought I would nip to the motorfactors and se what they had, turns out no manufacturer makes an M20 X1.5 switch... so why the hell they did that I dont know. Anywho I called in a favour at Billingham Machines company which machined my fan switch to fit perfectly.

This was also wired up onto a manual override switch.

all fitted :)

Next up is the oil cooler, mounted in the passenge side of the bumper it fits so neatly and compact, plus the ducting that I fitted to the bumper months ago now aims straight at it and with a purpose!

Next was I may aswell get the flywheel lightened! so I searched all over the internet with no luck, I ended up asking Carl (S1MK179) if he had any bits... in which he totally had one!

And after a week at AMAC engineering...

Its now 4.1kg's! he managed to skim 1kg off the fly.

The standard clutch isn't much kop for the power the polo is running so a helix was the only option, I opted for the fast road as paddles are that hard to press they actually break the pedal box! plus it can handle about the same power anyways so win.

Andy at Northeast Auto Tech fitted this for one hell of an epic price!!

So the list of things done are:
Aluminium Rad
Slimline fan with manual overide
SFS Coolant hoses
Brand new Coolant Bottle
Thermostat
Blue Temp Sender
APS Oil Cooler
Mocal Thermostatic Sandwhich plate
Braided Lines
1/2" BSP Fittings
Lightened Flywheel
Helix Fast road clutch
Pressure Plate
Release bearing
Oil Change
Spark Plug change
Coolant Change
Filter clean
Back on the BBS RA's

Had a few teething problems too like a disturbed Oring caused th heater matrix to leak, and the fact I forgot to put the CO Pot in properly which resulted in it firing it out under boost along with its orings and clips!

But apart from that, I have spent a **** load of money and effort of me, craig, Josh Chris and Higgins for something no one will see in essence.

However it does run 7 degrees less on a run and doesn't over heat either! wooooo so looking forward to the Nurburgring on Thursday!

Polo G40 14" BBS RS by Matty!, on Flickr

Lets hope the 'ring is successful, if so, alot of mod's are coming this cars way!

Well the Nurburgring was a success for all of us! Apart from Bens V12 BMW coming back a straight 6 but we will brush over that...

Car was flawless through its 1070mile eurotrip including several tunnel runs, some epic mountain road bashing, 4 laps of the Nurburgring and a 20 minute soaking wet session on the GP Circuit.

So pleased with how the car performed, and in the end with some instructing from Craig the little polo was setting some good strong pace round the Green hell, even surprising a few people

Heres some pictures anywho:

G40 Nurburgring by Matty!, on Flickr

Generic Ring Photo by Matty!, on Flickr

Cocem by Matty!, on Flickr

Nurburgring 2014 by Matty!, on Flickr

Now I am in debate whether to Bucket and Cage it or let it sit pretty as is and work towards getting a devoted track car of the BMW variety.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 11:41:49 am »
Bucket & Cage... obviously! Get something lardy and comfortable to tow it around with  ;D

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 01:22:04 pm »
Would a quaife or LSD bring better gains compared to cage, bucket seats, with your sort of power?

Offline Matty!

• Members
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 07:39:49 am »
Im looking at more of a safety point of view mainly, have you seen the crash test of one of these at like 30mph?  Its rather eye opening!

Haven't felt I've needed a diff really, I would like one eventually to see what its like but not yet.

Offline Matty!

• Members
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 09:22:22 pm »
So as some of you may or may not know I've been busy on this car this winter (not all of it me)

Fitted a 51mm Ported Throttle Body and GT inlet manifold...
20141229_170640 by Matty!, on Flickr

Left - GT Manifold Right - G40 you can see the GT is larger. this was powder coated silver by mr Grover at RS Alloys
20141130_164941 by Matty!, on Flickr

I also fitted Corbeau sprint bucket seats...
20150106_181209 by Matty!, on Flickr

The we get to the really juicy bit.

I had the car booked in at Performance & Proctection in Skipton for a full 6 point roll cage, through dash jobby.
So the car was there a while as I said I wasnt in a rush...

And here are the results:
20150417_200023 by Matty!, on Flickr

20150417_195956 by Matty!, on Flickr

20150417_200013 by Matty!, on Flickr

20150417_195748 by Matty!, on Flickr

They have done a fantastic job, they make rollcages for all the big rally teams and manufacturers project cars so I knew I was in safe hands, the cage is not intrusive on getting in and out either, still allowing the sunroof to operate also.

It has really stiffened the car up also, feels fantastic to drive.

Still left to do:
Carpet it out with acoustic carpet to neaten it up.
Relocate the battery and use a Mitsubishi Evo 6 Battery behind passenger seat.
Relocate washer bottle with a washer bag somewhere.
Sun strip as the buckets are lower that standard seats.
get seatframes powder coated
Neaten everything up

More juicy bits:
I managed to get my hands on a Gripper LSD and ATV G40 gearbox
Wideband Guage
Oil Pressure Gauge
and polycarb windows which I am umming and arring about fitting at the moment.
VW Motorsport G40 bottoms arms with VWM Bushes
VW Motorsport Rear beam bushes

Got alot more still to go on the car, but I am glad to have it back so I can tinker!

Offline Matty!

• Members
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 06:59:58 pm »
*Update*

So, been busy on this never ending project...

So far managed to pick up:
Gripper Diff LSD'd ATV Gearbox
Poly Carb windows
Oil Pressure Guage
Wideband
Oil Temp Guage
VW Motorsport Bottom Arms
FMIC - With Thermocouples
and a shed load of spares.

Anywho, been cracking on:

Fitted a FMIC which has thermocouples installed at either end of the intercooler to give a live readout of the inlet and outlet temperatures of the intercooler.

IMG_20150508_230344 by Matty Pollock, on Flickr

IMG_20150508_230422 by Matty Pollock, on Flickr

IMG_20150510_160055 by Matty Pollock, on Flickr

Also added a black tint film sunstrip, as once the buckets were in it really made the low sun a nightmare.

Here is the digital readout installed in the car:
IMG_20150523_185618 by Matty Pollock, on Flickr

Took it out for a good run yesterday with ChrisP to see what was what.

the ambient temperature was 20degrees, on average when driving normally around town ect at around 1700-2800 revs the inlet (Charger side) was around 31-33 degrees whilst the intercooler would keep a steady 21degrees.

Fast twisty road driving would raise the Inlet side to around 40-50 and the outlet holding around 25degrees.

On a really long mile straight stretch the max chager outlet temp I saw was 83degrees!! its amazing how fast it rockets up the temperatures whilst the outlet side was holding around 35 degrees! so as a whole it would cut the temperatures by half. Its a cool mod which proves that a front mount intercooler really does work, at some point I will experiment with water mist onto the cooler and see if that drops temps much more.

FB_IMG_1431429721115 by Matty Pollock, on Flickr
Pic of her at Teesside Autodrome
However upon inspection it looks like I have the dreaded pedal box crack :( so will have to get that sorted asap!