Author Topic: Radiator size  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Agent47

• Members
Radiator size
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:32:18 pm »
My radiator has decided to wet itself, just like to know if they are G40 specific or will any thing suitable for a 90-94 Polo do the job.
Thanks
Luke

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: Radiator size
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:55:15 pm »
The original GT and G40 radiators were dimensionally the same as any other Polo (*except some European spec. and diesel models) but had a denser core for better cooling.
I'm pretty sure they are obsolete now from VW. However, whilst not as efficient as a new OE one many people use new base model ones without problem - these are still available from some motor factors/ebay etc.
If you are running a high power engine and/or do a lot of track days you may want to get an ally radiator. These are pretty expensive though.

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 08:16:21 pm »
Cheers. Pretty much what i figured. Looked around a fair bit, ended up going with a Nissen one. Just hope it can get here nice and quick.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:48:48 am »
yes the gt/g40 radiator had more, smaller tubes through it thus giving more tube surface area than the normal polo ones.  However, I don't think you've been able to buy a genuine gt/g40 for some time now.  I bought one from a seller on ebay described as genuine gt/g40 about four years ago.  It is certainly a genuine vw part by the looks of it and also has the smooth end tanks that a gt/g40 one had but the core was a normal polo core.  It is quite possible it was still genuine though and vw themselves didnt bother with different cores any more.  It used it for a few years and never had any problems to be honest, this was with a turbo conversion.

I've got hold of a fancy aluminium one now though :)