Author Topic: Oil leaking.. HELP!  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Folstad

• Members
Oil leaking.. HELP!
« on: August 11, 2013, 09:18:29 pm »
I got a polo 1,3l g40, 86c-c. 1990 mod.
And my problem is that its leaking oil somewhere. when it stand still it doesent leak as much, but when i drive it leaks oil from somewhere, and i cant figure where...
It happened when I was driving past a car up a hill, when it suddenly increased on temperature until it reach 100 degrees then It stopped itself. I looked under the car and where there was an oil spot, I've suddenly got it back running and got home, after having filled after 2-3 gallons of oil on the trip that took about an hour. Have tried to replace the bottom Pan gasket, but it did not get any better.  Anyone have a clue what it might be? it comes from the area around where the register is, close to the strapwheel on the crankshaft ?

Sorry for bad english.. (helped by nicetranslator.com..) :)

Hope for some answers that could help me fast :) I need the car up running soon.

Thanks

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Oil leaking.. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:44:29 am »
Could it be the crankshaft oil seal?

Is the strapwheel = flywheel?

Offline Folstad

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:59:18 pm »
yeah, maby. im thinking that it could be the crankshaft oil seal. much work to get it out and in with a new one? do i have to take out the whole engine ?

i don't think that's the same. Its a "strap", that i don't remember whats called in English. its the thing that make the crankshaft and camshaft or what its called in English go simultaneous. Maby its the oil seal behind that wheel on the crankshaft ?

Thanks for respond and answers :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:47:41 am »
ah you mean the cam belt, sometimes known as timing belt :)

Yes it could be that oil seal.  There is also a paper gasket behind the engine end plate.  You'll need to remove that to replace the crankshaft seal anyway so might as well do them both.

Getting the crank bolt out is fairly easy if you have access to an air gun!

edit- it might help if I could type in decent english too!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:34:39 am by hayesey »

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 02:56:02 pm »
Yeah hayesey is correct, i do believe its the same as mine went on me a few years back.

At the time it was at VW garage so they did it for free as my car was in for a failed part under warranty.