Author Topic: Mk2 brake upgrade options  (Read 22581 times)

Offline Oily Fingers

• Members
Mk2 brake upgrade options
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:15:26 am »

Looking at brake options now for my mk2 coupe eaton g40 build. So I will be needing the best I can get for non servo set up.

Brake disc sizes, pad options, single pot, twin pot, 4 pot sets etc

Any ideas or opinions will be cool

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Mk2 brake upgrade options
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:00:30 am »
well it's the same options you have with any g40, all the same stuff fits a mk2.  

Depends how much you want to spend:

< £200 - new pads and vented discs with VWII calipers (basically standard g40 spec).  New rear shoes, new brake flexi hoses
£200+ - 256mm audi calipers and carriers, braided flexi hoses, new rear shoes & drums
£500+ - wilwood 4-pots, 256mm discs, decent pads, braided flexi hoses, new shoes and drums.

Don't overlook the rear drums, even if you're not upgrading them (which to be honest, isn't needed) it's worth refreshing them.  If the rear brakes aren't working well then it'll affect the whole braking of the car.  I upgraded mine to 200mm using parts from a passat.  To be honest it cost the same as buying new 180mm parts so was no big deal but I doubt it makes any difference really.  The rear brakes do very little as there is no weight there, esp with a stripped out track car!

There are options to fit a servo but either involve cutting & welding the builkhead, fabricating some parts to fit a small servo off something (people have used metro servos in the past) or making a remote servo kit (which you can either buy as a kit or get from a mk1 golf).  All a servo gives you is assistance in pressing the pedal it will not make your brakes any better themselves just means it requires less leg effort to operate them.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:02:33 am by hayesey »

Offline Oily Fingers

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:20:19 am »
That is the exact answer I was wanting. ClEar and too the point.

I'm Kool about not having a servo, don't wont to go down the root of cutting any panels about really.

All the brakes on the rear are all new, drums, shoes etc

Cheers dude!!

Offline Oily Fingers

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:22:06 am »
And I was thinking the same, it's stripped out at the back, all that will be there are a battery relocated to the left side of the boot floor, and a fuel cell tank which is where the back seats were. So it's pretty light at the rear. 

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:21:07 pm »
youll need to do some work to fit a bigger master cylinder with bigger calipers to push the right amount of fluid

Offline Oily Fingers

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 02:04:17 pm »
Work as in chopping stuff about on the bulkhead?  How big would I be able to run with the standard master cylinder?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 02:34:22 pm »
Depends on piston size but with stock mk3 cylinder 256s have lots of travel.   ChecK max crox thread on club polo for how he approached it

Offline Oily Fingers

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 03:12:20 pm »
Kool cheers.  I'm not too worries about stamping the pedal quite hard as I have to do that in my beetle at a hoggish speed, that's running non servo twin pot disc brakes up front and drums on the rear

Offline mark_crox

• Members
  • www.mk2polo.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 10:01:24 pm »
Not quite gone down the route of bigger brakes but this is what I've done.

Standard vented G40 front setup with DS2500 pads, Rear mk4 golf rear calipers and mk2 rear discs.

Now because of the rear brake setup I've fitted a 22 mm master cylinder.  Loads of info here
http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=31303&view=findpost&p=2336493

Currently looking at fitting 256mm front brakes using Vauxhall calipers

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:56:01 pm »
wouldn't you need a bias valve on the rear of a mk2 if fitting a disc conversion?

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:34:59 pm »
The 256's are SO good!  Loved them on my GT.  Not light, but pull the car up in a hail of screeching tyre.

Offline mark_crox

• Members
  • www.mk2polo.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 11:42:49 pm »
wouldn't you need a bias valve on the rear of a mk2 if fitting a disc conversion?
when I first fitted them... the answer was yes.. now they have bedded in and become a bit crap.. the answer is still yes but not as much! :-D

the rears used to lock up quite easily but now its not a problem. however I think in the wet on a corner it could still step out. But rather than fitting a bias valve I'm going to fit larger piston brakes to the front which should sort the balance out :)

Offline Oily Fingers

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 03:04:35 pm »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 04:12:37 pm »
no they dont fit.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 04:42:57 pm »
there are a couple of great upgrade options using vauxhall or volvo parts for the old poloes, there are full FAQ's up on clubpolo braking section, so its well worth having a read.

I've ran 256mm brakes with no servo and 200mm rear drums (off a mk3 golf) on my mk2 couple. Didnt bother changing the MC or adding a servo. Brakes were great. Needed a good ol' stamp but easy enough to lock up and with the ferodo pads would light up like a sparkler under heavy braking at night!

Only problem with the ferodos is they nom your discs like nothing else!