Author Topic: anti roll bar to work with arb blocks  (Read 4813 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
anti roll bar to work with arb blocks
« on: May 25, 2013, 05:19:03 pm »
My nylon arb block is slowly being eaten away by the lateral clamp on the ns, it doesnt sit straight, as there is not enough room. ive been reading and alot of peeps have the same problem, however there is another antiroll bar people are using that is flat and still misses a 4 branch. Can someone tell me the exact model this came off and the gearbox used
thanks

Offline RyanC

• Members
Re: anti roll bar to work with arb blocks
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:19:29 pm »
I have this same problem, as the bend on a 5 speed is very close to the ns arb block so you cant fit the clamp parallel to the block. I have seen people using 4 speed arb as u can fit the clamps straight but haven't payed to much attention to clearance of the manifold would be interesting to know what the solution is maybe using a 4 speed arb is the way to get round it?

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:25:27 pm »
Yeah, after doing 1000 miles on it the lateral clamp starts to eat into the nylon
4 speed you say? Wonder if it clears all the extra stuff on the g40, wonder if they are the same
the one i saw fitted to a car was pretty much all flat, might have been a 4 speed one

Offline metz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 11:26:21 pm »
Mine are on straight, i just spun the dohnut looking clamps until the allen bolts face the front of the car and they sit flush to the arb blocks

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:24:01 am »
Should look something like this (metz's car):

I usually find it easier to drop the TCA away from the chassis, and leave them bolted to the ARB loosely, get the ARB aligned with the blocks and clamps central, then fit the TCA into the strut, then fit it into the chassis.

There's 2 types of 5 speed ARB - was a thread on club polo a while back about it. Both of them fit (obviously) but one has the clearance offset from the centre, no idea why!

Offline metz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:37:08 am »
Do you usually need to threadlock them pete? mine were about 6inch away from the blocks the other day just rattling about. :D

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 10:20:39 am »
Yes! Thats the arb i need, its another 5 speed one then, will have to keep my eye out at the breakers

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:22:13 am »
Do you usually need to threadlock them pete? mine were about 6inch away from the blocks the other day just rattling about. :D

A dab of 243 loctite will do mate, don't put too much on otherwise you'll strip the head if you need to take it off  :)

Offline metz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 11:55:58 am »
ah ok,good advice or i would have bathed them in the stuff

Offline RyanC

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 08:24:43 pm »
i alway thought that was a 4 speed arb in that picture? as my 4 speed bready has that style on it and all 5 speeds have the g40 type i didnt know they were all called 5 speed just two different types? ill try fit it again if all fails ill swap the 5 speed for my 4 speed bready one :)

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 10:28:00 pm »
i alway thought that was a 4 speed arb in that picture? as my 4 speed bready has that style on it and all 5 speeds have the g40 type i didnt know they were all called 5 speed just two different types? ill try fit it again if all fails ill swap the 5 speed for my 4 speed bready one :)

Theres always 4 speeds in the scrappy near me, may get a few incase anyone needs one on here