Author Topic: Shell V power Nitro  (Read 8438 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: Shell V power Nitro
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 09:01:13 pm »
i was told that momentum has more ethonol in it to boost its octane up where as shell fuel has a naturaly higher octane rating. i dont know that much about it but i would say that performance petrol supplied by a petrol company such as shell wpuld be bettet than stuff sold by a supermarket as tesco must buy there fuel from somewhere and fuel comapnies are going to save the best stuff for them not sell it to the competition.

just my opinion, but i use moment as i live by tescos. be instresting to see tests back to back and see which has more knock reisitance and if one makes more power. my guess would be v-power would be better than tesco.

Offline shaun_89

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 11:08:12 pm »
Tesco dont own a refinery, iirc momentum is made by greenergy. Fuel is all the same anyway, its just the additives added to the batches for distribution that changes.

Ethanol is good for boosted cars though? My car runs the same on v-power as momentum.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 09:47:48 am »
EU Directive states minimum of 5% Ethanol in all gasoline pumps on the forecourt. I believe Tesco used to have a higher content of Ethanol than this in their fuel.

Ethanol can suffer phase seperation from fuel (esentially when subject to enough water it globulates and sinks to the bottom of the tank) if ethanol is used as an octane booster and phase seperation occurs, you're left without the additional octane.

So, you can say, the higher the ethanol content, the more unstable the fuel is regarding storage.

Real life says, best fuel is freshest, so whichever has a busy forecourt selling quantities of premium unleaded will probably be the better bet.

My car usually knocks with Tesco momentum, it doesn't with Optimax/V-Power/Vin Dizzle Nitro.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 09:50:50 am »
Worth noting too, ethanol is good, but you do need larger quantities of it to get the same energy as conventional gasoline/petrol. It's calorific value is lower, but lambda=1 for Ethanol is a lower ratio than that for gasoline, so you can ram more in, and increased the calorific value of fuel in the combustion chamber.

So if you've got an older car like a Polo with no feedback to fuel quality (i.e. ethanol content) then running high ratios of ethanol probably E10+ isn't a good plan.

Not sure if Morrisons still sell E85???

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 10:39:26 pm »
Yoof can you make an app with all your knowledge? is rather helpfull :P