Author Topic: Standard Injectors/250cc chip  (Read 2818 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Standard Injectors/250cc chip
« on: April 13, 2013, 06:10:07 pm »
Ordered a set of G60 injectors from Germany but they haven't arrived yet, and my MOT is on Tuesday.

I was wondering if it would be ok to run the car on the standard injectors, with the chip made for 250cc injectors. So long as I stay off boost, and keep the revs low? or will it always run lean no matter what the rev range??

I fitted the standard injectors, and started it up with the 250cc chip, and it idles fine.

Any ideas? It's too late to cancel the test now, so I'd really like to get over to it....

Adrian

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Standard Injectors/250cc chip
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 06:17:45 pm »
Why not put original chip back in??

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 07:10:43 pm »
I've a k03 turbo, forge actuator, 268 cam and boostswitch etc. Would the standard chip still suit off boost?

Suppose I should have mentioned all that lol
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:14:58 pm by AdzCM »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 07:45:07 pm »
At idle and under whatever the boost switch is calibrated probably yes!

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 07:57:40 pm »
That's brilliant mate, cheers :) ... Boost switch is set to 6 psi but I mean, id be changing up through gears at really low rev's etc. and wouldn't be boosting much, if anything at all. How sure would you be that it'll be ok? I'm so paranoid about wrecking something  ???

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 08:12:22 pm »
Im sure it will be fine mate, like i said, been ragging the nads off mine and im sure the owner before me has too with 200cc injectors and a 250cc map before i realized.
retard the timing by about 5 degrees, suppressed the pinking massively

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 08:23:20 pm »
Alright mate, I have the standard chip here too, and I'm now wondering if I can run the car off boost with it, since its for the standard injectors. I know PeteG40 knows his stuff but 'probably yes' as opposed to 'definitely yes' scares me a little haha. I'd literally cry if something went wrong.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 08:37:44 pm »
Yeah know what you mean. regarding boost, with the wrong chip it doesnt just pink on boost it pinks off boost too.

Like you said pete knows his stuff. go with the standard chip. atleast the fueling will be correct, Andy was saying my car would run fine with a PSD full blend, psd camshaft and 1341 high compression pistons on the standard map.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 08:47:25 pm »
I'm in the middle of changing it round. I'll give it a go. Cheers buddy...

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 09:25:59 pm »
Tried the standard chip and it seems to run really rough compared to the 250cc turbo chip  ???

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 09:47:50 pm »
Thats odd :S i dont know what to suggest. does it rev up ok? is it just idle it runs rough? could it be the aggressive cam?
maybe wait for pete to reply lol

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 10:00:08 pm »
When I fitted the first turbo, it was done, and just pumped oil into the engine which made it misfire and run really rough. The whole car shook at idle and low revs [like a chugging sound that got faster as your revved] ... so replaced that turbo with another good one. Ran better but still similar symptoms. I noticed the injector was pumping petrol out onto the inlet manifold so figured, that's another problem making it run rough. Fitted the standard injectors and started it up. Idles pretty smooth and when you rev its also smooth.

Went out there and changed the chips round to the standard chip and it ran like shit again.

Swapped them back and it ran better.

The spark plugs were new but do you think the oil from the first blown turbo could have damaged them? [shorted them or something]

I've bought another new set for trial and error :s

Can't properly diagnose until I get the G60's :(

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 11:25:03 pm »
You checked the plugs? You can tell alot from there colour, I'd whip them all and and check them. see if they are consistent or if one is oily and black and remember what ones came from what cylinders for diagnosis. If the turbo was leaking oil it would cause all of them to be black and oily, can't see it only causing one cylinder to misfire

the chugging you describe is definitely a misfire as mine did the same when running rough in cold (turned out to be a vacuum line)
think you might just have to wait for your g60 injectors to arrive and go from there

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 03:14:17 am »
You're probably right. Ill still try n limp it to the MOT.

Took out the plugs n they're all black suggesting running rich?

There was oil on the threads of one of the plugs the whole way down the threads? Obviously comming from the rocker cover gasket, but I didn't think it would be able to get to the spark plug tip? I cleaned the plugs and it definately ran better...

Ill see what g60's n new plugs do.

Thanks for that mate.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 07:31:19 am »
Burnt on black like carbon deposits on it is rich mixture, probably your 315cc injectors on a 250cc map, so thats consistent
if it's black and slightly oily/wet then it's oil
yeah oil on the threads but not on the electrode is more than likely rocker cover gasket, had that exact problem on a pug gti. Get some gasket sealer from halfords or some hylomar. Whip the gasket off clean it all up with brake cleaner, then run a thin bead around the rocker and head, should improve things :-)

Just another thing, have you checked the plug gaps- should be. 0.8
Glad to help mate