Author Topic: Capri green, original G40  (Read 22899 times)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
Re: Capri green, original G40
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 12:15:29 pm »
Dunno how I havn't seen this yet! Looks really good man, those pesky sunroof arms are rusty on all of em. Mine are terrible haha. Nice to see some love going into the old girl

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 07:39:21 pm »
Are those new sunroof arms?
or is that what deox C does to them?

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 06:07:48 am »
Thanks for the kind words people :)
yeah! The car is happy to see some love after so many years of abuse too!
yeah they were rusty but i bathed them in deox c for a fee days then painted them at work through a gun and 2 pack paint, came out amazing and wont rust again :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:27:45 am by z3i »

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 09:56:54 pm »
Impressive results with Deox C on the sunroof arms, I know bilthamber products are good, but they look brand new!
I'll have to get some :)

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 06:52:29 am »
This looks like its coming along nicely, wicked job so far!

Offline dekerf1996

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 03:10:57 pm »
Cracking work there, shame the car had got in such a state before your ownership.

Hopefully sorted out your handling problems now then!!!

Keep the updates coming

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback :) gives me some motivation, even in this stupidly hot weather!!

yeah! im excited to drive it! all those dodgy handling problems and noises should all be gone :D

Been working on it a couple of hours each evening
got my new steering rack :) and cleaned all the bulk head, steering arms and damper

wiring loom is all re wrapped, looks sooooo much better, not perfect but compared to before

Before:

After:

is still a bit of a mess but its been fiddled with before so have done it as best as i can :)
Inlet manifold is now on with a new genuine gasket, removed the carbon canistor and associated hoses

i scrapped the idea of de rusting the hubs, they came out really well but pete was selling new for cheap so couldnt resist, painted them at work (i know most of the paint will come off during fitment) but should be better rust protection than nothing :)

My NS wing is de aeriald and ready for primer
Gaz coilovers should be here soon :D excited, decided on a 250lb spring front with a tender spring, should provide a firm ride without being crashy, and i can adjust the rebound if its a bit harsh. should be hard enough for swiss mountain roads too

finally got some g40 badges :D woop woop

got my gearbox apart as there was lots on play on the driveshaft flanges which i thought was a stray bearing. turned out to be the sun gears are fudged in the diff

Not really sure what to do with this as id like a quaife diff, but dont have the money at the moment. so will probably end up bunging it back together until i can afford one, box doesnt take long to get off and apart in the future
all for now :) should have more updates the weekend, i plan on fitting, injector rail, throttle body, servo, master cylinder and bleeding the brakes :)
thanks for reading
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:52:04 pm by z3i »

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 08:46:46 pm »
The pictures dont do it justice as it still looks dirty, but before everything, i mean everything was covered in thick black sludge
and yes i know i have the wrong wire plugged into the coil lol
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:49:39 pm by z3i »

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 09:46:30 pm »
Few more updates, things are coming along nicely :)

New unmodified Pedal box mounted in nicely on its newly welded stud :) fits perfectly

steering column on which i had a brain melt down trying to fit, it was like 30 degrees and the column had collapsed in on itself meaning i couldnt bolt it up, took an hour of sweating and shouting to realise what had happened lol

straight wing bracket welded on

clutch on

brakes bled with bmw dot 4 fluid. should have seen the black shit that came out of them haha, was not nice! should make quite a difference. as soon as i started broke both the bleed nipples on the rear within 30 seconds of starting, luckily i live a 2 min walk from camberlys so got some nice new delphi ones for cheap with trade discount

inlet on, throttle body, injectors etc

changed the ball at the bottom of the gearstick which was a pain!!

also went to the mk1 owners meet which was really cool! being a slightly older generation everyone there was really nice and friendly, bit like people on here. compared to the likes of edition etc (not slating it as its a good show i still enjoy) but you get what i mean

few pics

And a random pick of all the stuff ive got to fit to my mates mk1 lol

you would not believe that:
4 plugs
dizzy cap
rotor arm
oil
oil filter
air filter
fuel pump
bosch battery
clutch cable
fuel filter
cambelt
cambelt idler
aux belt
all came to under £200!!!! dayum thats cheap!!

thanks for reading

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 10:01:42 pm »
did you get gt/g40 rear cylinders for cars with a compensator?  they are usually smooth and cl/base spec ones are usually cast looking.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 10:09:42 pm »
dam it! thought all polos had compensators, these look cast, and ive just noticed it looks like it has cl stamped on it
dam it!! was so dam happy with the brakes all bled up! cant take them back now and cant afford new ones lol
there were 5 different options, saying that these did come under g40 ones on the computer
whats the worst that will happen mate? i dont carry passengers if that makes a difference

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 03:15:29 pm »
Looks amazing dude, doing the gear selector ball and other odds and sods round there is a right ballache that I need to get round to doing. Sorting brake fluid out defo makes the pedal feel much better!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 08:09:49 pm »
Thanks man :D

yeah. well whilst its jacked up with the exhaust off id thought it would be rude not to change it :P
my coilies should be here monday :D
not long now lads! seriously so excited to drive her again! it feels like its about 3 weeks from christmas and im a kid again!

my dad got my a stackk psi boost gauge for my bday which will be fitted in the center console :D
eventually when i get three gauges they will be going where the cd player is and the cd player will be going in the glove box for stealth :D

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 10:02:39 pm »
Slowly getting there, spent today on the car :)

both my wings are painted now :D
Aaaaannnnnd! COILOVERS ARRIVED!!!!! woop!!! they look frickin awesome!! so dam happy with them, fitted new top mounts, wheel bearings and hubs, i wanted to get the calipers refurbed but didnt have enough dosh, so got some used g40 calipers that i can send off when i get paid :)

inner wing all cleaned, treated and waxoyled :)

eventually the rust will be ground back and resprayed when time and money allow

got the box built back up and back in :) which was a ball ache!!!! i put it in with the new gearbox mount only to realise i need the subframe in :( ergh. so i then un bolted it all and rested the subframe in, bolted it all up, to then realise i couldnt get the frame on the mounts! off AGAIN!!
well with the sorted. i came back later only to find there is sooo much play in my diff bearings its causing the driveshaft flanges to leak. bleurgh! seem to be taking 1 step forward and two back :(

now for the most time consuming and annoying bit. changing crank and camshaft seals. this was such a pain!! pete saved the day after a quick phone call :) as i was getting really stressed

i tried to stop the pulley turning by wedging a a 12mm spanner between allen bolt and engine mount, didnt end well. luckily i bought a spare. in the end i had to drop the sump and wedge some plastic chopping board inbetween the crank webbing and engine block wall, worked a treat :)

i didnt get any before pics, sorry, wish i did as again it was well and truly gunged up, so is all nice and clean now, and hopefully leak free :D

new filter :)

all is nice and clean now though :) i put the crank plate in the oven for half hour and the seal popped straight out and used the blue glue to seal the seals in when fitting, the stuff pete supplies with glader seals. so no more leaks :D

also used some loctite aerosol instant gasket jezza recommended me, seems like top stuff!!

keep watching, more updates tomorrow :D i would write more but pictures say way more :P
thanks for reading, and thanks for the help Pete :D

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:04:37 pm by z3i »

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 02:21:48 pm »
Yes lad. Just came across this. Capri green works a treat. I need to somehow persuade my missus to clean the engine bay.

Are you still spraying? I am keen to get mine done towards the end of the year? And you seem to know what you're doing. I would even venture into the south for it.