Author Topic: Maggy  (Read 9681 times)

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Maggy
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:01:52 pm »
Well this my track project car mark 2. I had built my old track car back in late 2009 and had used it a few times on track where it performed quite well. I was never able to go properly to town with it because it was also my daily driver. This all changed last year when I started cycling to work and so was using the car a lot less. It was all going great until I discovered some cracks in one of the chassis legs and so with the engine needing to come out and when a certain car came up for sale, it was fairly easy to make a decision to cut my losses and scrap my existing shell and buy the new one. Now the regulars amongst you will know Alex sold up late last year and I bought his shell from him. It is a credit to Alex how good it is and I know he's done a top job on it and it would be a really good car, the ppp cage is also a good addition!

Anyway onto some pictures and a bit of the progress so far since I've had it which has not been as quick as I'd have liked go due to the horrendous weather and also distractions like having to do the head gasket on my wife's vr6.

The old car

How it ended up

Picking up Alex's car,

Sorting a few issues from the cage install, all sorted easily enough with some vatcan, seam sealer and paint.

Quaife ready to go in

Although this car is a running a stage 3 ppp subframe it made sense whilst there is no engine in it to have the chassis legs welded and the general accepted strengthening mods done so with the help of some threads on here mainly the one started by Yoof the welding was done. I am lucky enough to have a guy who preps rally cars less than a mile from my house who really knows what he's doing with this sort of stuff so he is sorting the quaife and he did the welding for me. Chris has done a really good job on it all and put some hours in for me, big thanks to him.

So next is to get the bay repainted which I was going to do myself but its just not been warm enough so it is going into a body shop down the road, so it will be ready for the engine which I am hoping to get ready for it this week. This was it sat on the drive with the old shell before it got taken away. I am hoping to have it on the road for the start of may so I can have a month to sort any issues before the track day at Cadwell in June.

Hopefully I can update this more later in the week as there is some progress made!

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Maggy
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:56:51 pm »
Looking good!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:10:53 am »
Going to be a right weapon when its done Sam! Great job mate

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 11:41:53 pm »
One of the best shells around, this one.  8)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 06:49:32 pm »
Sweet mate!

Offline mark_crox

• Members
  • www.mk2polo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 09:55:52 am »
Brilliant! :)

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 09:36:53 pm »
Well this has not exactly gone to plan but we have an end point at the moment. Started out last weekend with some help putting the engine in. Gone in with a new helix paddle but no diff for now.

Garage full of shit ready to go on the car.

Off down to the garage for the intercooler etc fitting.

With support vehicle ready to go on the ramp. The white car came in handy for reference as its ages since I took the engine out of the last car although I know these engines fairly well by now.

Starting to fab up brackets to mount the intercooler.

Downpipe after heat wrapping.

Plenty of air should get to the intercooler now.

Running!

Ready for the mot.

Passed! At the mot station.

Finished, kind of. It's as ready as it will ever be for Cadwell tomorrow. Hopefully it will be ok on track. Still plenty to do on it but that's all part of the fun right?!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:40:20 pm by SamG40 »

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 11:05:37 pm »
Looks great Sam well done mate! The pipe from the compressor to the intercooler is so awkward! Have fun tomorrow dude

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 08:41:44 pm »
Top day at Cadwell today. Track rubber is well worth the money, so much grip, the rear end was planted giving me real confidence to chuck it through the corners. Plus I've really been looking forward to getting the mo's back on!

Had a few issues in the form of the in tank pump coming loose and petrol pouring all over the tank, and my back wheel causing me to have a half spin and end up on the grass on the sighting lap! Sorted that out and my exhaust fell off later in the day, not nice when you can here your lovely PPP exhaust dragging along the floor. There was a bit of a temp fix which worked much better than the rubbers, a job to sort out.

Having gone from my old car the difference between a car with a subframe, cage, proper seats and harnesses and decent rubber transform a polo. Much faster and confidence inspiring. Can't wait to get out on track again.

Ready to go home after a successfull day on track.

The exhaust fix.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:32:48 pm »
Exhaust fix is 100% pro  ;D

Did that pesky AX turn up  ;)

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 09:50:51 pm »
Exhaust fix was a good solution with what we had!

Ax was there hassling all sorts of stuff as usual. Looked pretty good. My mount didnt fit the cage though so no video.

Offline mark_crox

• Members
  • www.mk2polo.co.uk

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 12:40:32 pm »
Awesome! I want to do Cadwell again in the future. I can imagine its pretty hairy in conditions that arent as pleasant as these however.

Turned the boost up the other night and the car is pretty scary now.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 01:02:51 pm »
out of intrest what suspension have you got on this and how did it cope with the trackday?? Did you find it a bit rolly on the front with no arb because of the frame??

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 03:23:49 pm »
Its got FK Konigsport coilovers and no not at all. It could maybe do with a little bit of stiffening on the front end but with track rubber on the grip is immense so I had no problems chucking it in the corners. It was really good on track, massive difference compared to my last car with no frame.