Author Topic: Glass electric sunroof leak  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Bengregory93

• Members
Glass electric sunroof leak
« on: March 20, 2013, 01:05:12 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm slowing working through a list of faults with my G and the next one the list is the leaking sunroof!
I've read through all the topics via the search function but none seem to cover an electric sunroof. From what I've been told it is a factory fit extra.

The water itself seems to be dripping from the inner edges of the roof, almost seems as if condensation from the glass but its far too heavy a leak to be caused by this.

Does anybody knows if the electric sunroofs have different drains? Because I can't seem to find anywhere I can push some wire through.

Thanks in advance
Ben

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Glass electric sunroof leak
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:47:28 pm »
its a dealer fit extra - and only ever heard of two... Sorry i can't help!

Offline Bengregory93

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 02:46:28 pm »
No worries Pete!

Good and bad that there's only a few of them, better selling point but harder to fix

Ill try and take some photos later to help but I'm just hoping to not have to drop the headlining

Ben

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:05:57 pm »
are there any signs of a manufacturer or anything on it? 

It might be that the rubber seal around it has perished with old age.  It might be possible to buy the seal profile by the metre and make yourself a new one.  Or it could be blocked drains, just get some stiff(ish) wire and poke through the drain holes until the wire comes out of the other end. 

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:24:13 pm »
If the seal isnt perished it might be worth getting some butyl tape (mastic sticky black stuff for sealing door membranes) and putting it in the seal itself where it pushes onto the roof to create a seal (if that makes sense) its kinda hard to explain

This is what BMW say to do when fitting new seals to the new convertible hard tops. ive done it on a few cars with leaks and worked a treat

Teroson make it and you can get it from most paint and body supply places

Hayesey i dont think dealer fit sunroof have drainage holes. they arnt like the factory fit ones where the whole roof has a step down part for drainage holes and the sunroof mechanism. dealer fit ones are pretty much just a hole in the roof and the mechanism dropped in? correct me if im wrong but all the ones ive seen have been like that
Taylor