Author Topic: G lader cams  (Read 2991 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
G lader cams
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:42:40 pm »
Evening all. can someone tell me what the power delivery is like on the g40 running a glader and standard cam?
ive always thought mine was really strange as there is nothing until about 4500rpm and it just takes off till 7000rpm (or usually wheel spins)
changed my rocker cover the other day and noticed the cam lobes where pronounced as fuck! and the edges of the lobes wernt chamfered like original ones if that makes sense
im pretty confident its not standard and if it isnt it would explain why its such a balls ache to accelerate anywhere without wheel spinning
do original cams make the power delivery more useable throughout the rev range? if they do i might get a standard one
Taylor

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: G lader cams
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:58:21 pm »
sounds supermarket to me and if the casting is rough its probably a Newman! check  the markings on it Newman cams are marked on the dizzy end usually you would need to remove the dizzy to read it

Offline Craig g

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 12:11:57 am »
My g40 I exactly like that nothing till 4500rpm then bam I'm wheel spinning always thought this was normal because its the only g I've had making me think I should have a peek

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:13:28 am »
doesn't sound right to me.  they normally have tons of low down torque and then start running out of steam just after 5500 rpm when fairly standard.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:21:26 pm »
Newman can do a top end cam for the G which will take a  bit away from the bottom end, but the tickover's shit and it's not a cam they push.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 03:17:58 pm »
check  the markings on it Newman cams are marked on the dizzy end usually you would need to remove the dizzy to read it
This. ^^^^

Newman sell a 264/268° cam as suitable for a G40, but most of the other supercharged application cams have less inlet duration and more exhaust - so I'm not convinced. Maybe for a turbo though!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 05:26:14 pm »
Thanks for the replies
Ok thanks for that, will get the dizzy off Saturday and have a look, just have to get hold of a timing light from somewhere.
it definitely not right, i really cant imagine it having this sort of power delivery from factory, and if hayesey is saying it runs out of go at around 5500rpm thats just when mine gets going!
thanks peeps
Taylor

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 06:59:45 pm »
doesn't sound right to me.  they normally have tons of low down torque and then start running out of steam just after 5500 rpm when fairly standard.

Agreed. Mine was exactly like that on a standard engine and charger. Since having a Piper (IIRC) fitted when my engine was rebuilt, it's alright up to about 4k, then it goes beserk all the way to the red line  ;D

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 08:34:43 pm »

Agreed. Mine was exactly like that on a standard engine and charger. Since having a Piper (IIRC) fitted when my engine was rebuilt, it's alright up to about 4k, then it goes beserk all the way to the red line  ;D

Having had both which is better power delivery? does the piper increase the delivery? or just change how its delivered?
didnt have a chance to get mine off today, spent 3 hours in the pouring rain fitting nylon arb blocks and outer bushes. now i feel ill... ergh

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 09:21:26 pm »
Find out what cam it is, and then check that it's timed up to the cam manufacturer's specs.

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 10:49:27 pm »
I prefer the peakier power delivery. The problem is, when the power drops off a 5.5k and you're driving enthusiastically, it's a bit of a buzz kill. Although I do miss the wicked amount of low down grunt, I'd have it more top heavy any day. Not to say it's gutless below 4k, it certainly goes alright, but just lacks the original punch it used to have when you put your foot down.

Each to their own at the end of the day, though.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 06:47:18 pm »
Find out what cam it is, and then check that it's timed up to the cam manufacturer's specs.

Had a look today, didnt realize it would be so quick to get the dizzy off

The end of my cam says "Pitstop developments G40" i couldnt find the duration on the cam
Probably explains the power delivery
as far as im aware the days of PSD are long gone and way before i bought my G so im not too clued up and they dont have a website anymore
anyone got any info for me? did they do a variety of cams?
did PSD used to stamp their chargers when they ported them? as mine is lightly ported but has no markings so i dont know where it was done
Thanks Taylor

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 07:18:01 pm »
psd cams were done by newman i believe.

they rarely marked their chargers, but put pics up of porting and i can tell you if it is likely to be...

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 07:18:31 pm »
I don't know about their cams, but I had my charger ported by them and I don't think it was stamped or marked. Nothing that I've seen anyway...

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 07:34:54 pm »
psd cams were done by newman i believe.

they rarely marked their chargers, but put pics up of porting and i can tell you if it is likely to be...

That would be spot on, will send you some pics when i strip it down to change the scroll bearing on saturday (thanks for getting them sent out to me so quick)

Is there any way i can find out or work out mathematically the durations of my camshaft?
Thanks