Author Topic: Oil Temperature Gauge  (Read 5092 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Oil Temperature Gauge
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:59:49 pm »
I've read on here that a lot of you are putting your oil temp sender in the sump plug hole with use of an adaptor?

I emailed a guy on ebay about the gauge/oil sensor he was selling and asked him what thread the sensor was so I could buy an adaptor to fit to my sump drain hole.

His [slightly cheeky] reply was this:

"No, you are not thinking, what is the purpose of a sump, why is it located at the bottom of engine ?  COOLING !!!!

You will only get false readings if you place at sump bottom.

Suggest you go talk to tuners."

Im not an expert but Ive never thought the sump is at the bottom of an engine for cooling??

Advise?

Hes telling me I need to fit it in my sandwich plate which im not going to do because the thermostatic sandwich plate I have has no hole for an oil temp sensor...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:14:13 pm by AdzCM »

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: Oil Temperature Gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:40:52 pm »
i think one of the main reasons the sump is at the bottom of the engine is so for gravity drain reasons, sump temp will be different from oil gallery temp if you want a more accurate reading then get a temp sender and put it in one of the oil pressure switch take offs on the back of the head.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:01:01 pm »
i think what he means by the sandwich plate thing is when you have your plate with 2 lines (to and from cooler), on the return line you put a oil temp gauge adapter in it. 

Something like this

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p3542/TEMP-GAUGE-ADAPTOR-1/2BSP/product_info.html

Or as antony says in the back of the head. Thats what i will plan to do in future i think.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 10:10:42 pm »
Actually i think its better if you do the setup like this

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:13:39 pm by Jezza-7 »

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 11:39:41 pm »
i think one of the main reasons the sump is at the bottom of the engine is so for gravity drain reasons, sump temp will be different from oil gallery temp if you want a more accurate reading then get a temp sender and put it in one of the oil pressure switch take offs on the back of the head.

My thoughts exactly on the reason it's at the bottom. Will the temperature really be that different between the sump and oil gallery? Leads me onto another question. Why are there 2 oil pressure senders in the back of the head?

James, that would be ideal if I knew anywhere over here that could crimp new fittings onto my oil cooler hoses to allow for that adaptor. [believe me, I've looked]

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:57:52 am »
the 2 pressure sensors are blue and black. One is a feed for your charger.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 12:35:59 pm »
one is a low pressure switch and one is high pressure

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:39:24 pm »
I've fitted mine in sump plug and i get wrong temperature. I do have an oil cooler with a thermostat but oil temp doesn't exceed 70 C even when i hill climb...

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 03:41:57 pm »
the oil in your sump will be cooler than that in say, the head.  You can either connect it to the sump and then just be aware that temp in the sump will be lower or fit another t-piece to the other oil pressure sensor fitting and run a temp gauge from there.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 10:55:41 pm »
If your turbo oil feed is run from a t-piece from the high pressure switch and your running an oil pressure gauge from a sender in a t-piece from the low pressure switch, what then.

If I'm talking pure rubbish, I apoligise lol. Not as clued up as you lot...

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 09:36:20 am »
either put another t-piece on or use the sump.  Most people use the sump.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 09:51:25 am »
a t-peice for temp isnt' that good either - as I would suggest that any oil that's run up the t-peice will be colder than that in the head.

I use a sump one - just be aware it'll be slightly colder than the top end.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 08:25:24 am »
Sump it is then :) thanks guys...

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 09:53:30 pm »
how much lower would you say the reading is at the sump? if my temp gauge said 90 what would actual temp be?
also what ideal oil temp? and minimum and maxium?

thanks

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 04:42:05 pm »
Hi,

I also have an oil temp fitted to the sump.

On B roads, temps don't get much higher then 100°C (normal use, some revs but not constant)  on highway's however (3500-4200 rpm) it rises to 112-115°! I think i might need an oil cooler.. however  my g is a complete stock, no chip, no smaller pulley, charger complete stock...

Is it normal that oil temps are that high?

water remains at about 90°C  (in traffic 100°, fans kick in and its drops to about 95°)

I would like to refit the sensor to the head for a better reading, i m just not sure what i need to get that working,

some advice?