Author Topic: front and rear seats  (Read 3262 times)

Offline vwdubjay

• Members
front and rear seats
« on: January 12, 2013, 12:01:10 am »
Hi, I was thinking about changing the seats in my polo and was just wondering, what seats would fit in? Also my car seems to be getting damp inside, I know the drivers window seal could do with replacing but would this also solve the car getting damp? If not what could the problem be?
Thanks jay

Offline dan1300r

• Members
Re: front and rear seats
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:27:10 pm »
The door membranes are a major culprit for damp foot wells. When thy perish they leak water between the door card and and door, onto the rubber door seal and trickle through the carpet where you can't see it permeating. Leads you to believe water is coming through the seal but rarely is.. It's a fine art making new membranes! I stick new polythene on with real good (gorilla) tape and use a hot air gun to form the poly into the door and tuck them down past the lip with tape as I've never seen even the worlds best tape stop water leaking by as it's hard to tape the membrane totally flat. Be careful when fitting new membranes that the window mech doesn't scrumple them up during use. I've got this down to a fine art after many years of wet Golfs and Polos. My Polo is bone dry at 30 years old! Also watch for rotten battery trays leaking by.. Scirocco seats fit nice into the front and do good by us lot over 6' as they sit lower. Corrado sests apparently fit nicely too but not seen the end result.. I've heard that the rear bench from Sciroccos fit nice with a bit of modification too but only saw the fronts matched up to a genesis rear bench and they are pretty good

Offline vwdubjay

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:29:42 pm »
ok thanks for the advice and i dont seem to be getting damp foot wells just a lot of condensation on the windows and the seats feeling damp and the passangers side door card keeps getting mold on it.

Offline dan1300r

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:36:29 pm »
Sounds like you definately have water getting past your door membrane for the door card to be getting mould on it, the water could be just beneath the sound deadening pads under your carpet where you can't see/feel. it only takes 2 minutes to get under the front carpets to have a look, just remove the metal trim holding the carpet down by the door and lift the carpet, you will find that as your car warms up the moisture in/under your carpets will start to evaporate, thus steam your car up. Failing that you could have a microleak on your heater matrix which further adds to a damp environment inside. I rather fancy leaking door membranes letting water sneak under your carpet but just not enough to show through. When you switch your car off at night especially on these cold nights all the moisture in the air condenses and migrates into your seats and carpets just like onto your windows giving the damp feeling you are getting. Take a look under your carpets first point of call and check your membranes then battery tray. They also like to leak through the tail gate electric cable boots which water then gets under the boot carpet and under the back bench, these turn into a giant sponge and give off steam as the car warms up.