Author Topic: What wax for your car?  (Read 6253 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: What wax for your car?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:36:01 pm »
i just use turtle wax but Im no detailer by any means i hate washing my car!

Offline g40will

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32:37 pm »
Well ive tryed alsorts of wax from £20 to £100 but there all sh!t the only stuff il use is pure carnauba wax it is the base product in most waxes have a search on ebay for harly carnauba wax, i wouldnt use anything else its £21.50 and worth every penny a tin will last ages take a look at his pics the g looked the same awesome stuff ; )

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:50 pm »
Mine gets a double layer of Dodo Juice twice a year. It's expensive but one pot of wax will last years.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:07:58 pm »
I use autoglym as its pretty good as lasts a while, but them 2 i linked are a little expensive!

Pure carnauba wax for £21.50? Thats cheap considering the stuff i linked is 60% and £795.

Offline g40will

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 09:40:45 am »
I didnt look at the links my phone wouldnt let me, but you wouldnt catch me buying anything else since finding this yeh its £21.50 deliverd the price of it you would have thought it was cheap tat but its not, if you do buy some make sure you buy the yellow no1 grade the harly stuff i use hope this helps

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 09:50:33 am »
you need your head seeing to if you spend 795 quid on some car wax!

Offline g40will

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:15:45 am »
I thought that ha ha depends if you have a bank balance to match and id want my  own personal valeter to give it to ha ; )

Offline dekerf1996

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 03:41:12 pm »
That harly's stuff isn't 100% carnauba wax, as it would be solid if it was and not a wax fit for your car.

Dodo juice make a nice paper weight which is 100% carnauba wax.

What it usually means is out of the wax content that is used it is all carnauba wax, and not a blend of waxes.

However what it doesn't say, is how much of the total tin is wax. That tin could only have 1g of wax in the tin, but be 100% carnauba wax

A blend of waxes is usually good, as most manufacturers seem to think so and give different charactristics of the waxes.

You pays your monies for what you get. Definative waxes are getting good reviews over on DW, and they range from £50, for wheels up to a £2k.

Agreed some punch well above their price point, like Bouncers or Autobrites ranges of waxes and some are just hyped with a nice bit of marketing, but they must sell some, otherwise they won't make any.

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 07:06:14 pm »
I use products from serious performance:
http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Products,119.html

In particular this sealant is easy to use, long lasting, looks good and is good value for money.
http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Products,119,toView_545.html

He makes his own products, so I guess it cuts down on the middle man costs...

I also like collinite products - most people think coli stuff is good value for money, long lasting wax etc.
http://www.collinite.com/automotive-wax/

Offline ParkerDub

• Members
  • Aye shuggy.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 11:05:06 am »
The best waxes i've found from experience in car valeting&detailing have been either Poorboys EX-P, Poorboys Quickwax or Autoglym HD wax.

Poorboys is the best for water distortion but autoglym seems to last longer.
Although any wax with the correct prep prior to applying should work well,
The best way i find is to use a wax from say poorboys with a polish also from poorboys as most companies design these products to work better together.

My G's paint is horrific so i usualy only detail my Mk5 Golf and Would always stick with poorboys now.

Offline GSBellew

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 01:18:34 am »
I use Swissol wax as it was called then it's now Swissvax, got it ten years or so ago, use it about 3 times a year and have probably 1/3 of the tin left at this stage.

I've used a lot of other waxes, but nothing else has come close to it in my experience.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 01:40:29 pm »
I use Autoglym high def at £35

It seems to last long enough and water falls off like a freshly water proofed tent with Fabsil spray.

Pic doesn't do it justice really but then it wasn't a brilliant day..

Fred.

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 04:35:57 pm »
I use autoglym high definition an ive won two trophys at shows so cant be bad eh? Baught it when it was half price sale at halfrauds so got two for full price

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 10:11:41 pm »
Its only £25 from awesome gti.