Author Topic: No spark and Not turning over.  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Alexis

• Members
No spark and Not turning over.
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:25:22 pm »
Long story short, went to start my G40 the other day after doing a bit of work on it.

When turning the key to start, the motor did not turn and all that could be heard was a few relays clicking under the dash.
Tried to bump start to no avail. Tested for permanent live supply to motor - present.
Tonight I brought a supply from the battery straight to the solenoid, and the starter motor turned over at a decent speed.

Did the spark plug test, and getting no spark when turning over.

Is there any connection between the two symptoms? What I'm thinking so far is the ignition switch, there is another symptom that the heater blower is getting a supply, but will not allow the motor to run, however link the motor straight to the battery and it does run. I get continuity between the multiplug of the heater motor to the switch.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline z3i

• Members
Re: No spark and Not turning over.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:28:48 pm »
Immobilizer possibly?
Had the same problems as you described before on other cars and turned out to be faulty immobilizer. what work did you do to it?
Taylor

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:35:12 pm »
I put on braided lines and a front caliper then brake fluid change. Also, I had the heater motor out, so had the ECU unplugged. The ECU multiplug terminalswere a bit corroded but other than that seemed OK and went back on fine.
Forgot to mention, I tried the CD player which wouldn't turn on, however it's an aftermarket one with no code (don't know if this makes a difference).

Cheers, Ryan

Offline Alvaro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:26:19 pm »
Try another ecu.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:04:23 pm »
sounds like maybe an alarm fault to me

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 11:20:05 am »
Check the fuse box connections between the bulkhead. I've had issues with the internal to external connections coming loose and the car won't start.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 06:00:56 am »
Pete and Z3i, you were correct!

Went to check the ignition switch and found wires spliced into an aftermarket immobilizer.

Fob must have been damaged or dead, so got a diagram off the net and joined back together the interrupted switch lives.

All is good  :-D

Thank you to all who contributed

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:37:47 pm »
Result! :D Aftermarket immobilizers are horrible, the cobra one on my polo has been so bodged in i had to rewire shit loads, had bare connectors and wires everywhere which had touched earths and had burn marks all over them!