Author Topic: Insanly heavy clutch 2 snapped clutch cables  (Read 2338 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
Insanly heavy clutch 2 snapped clutch cables
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:03:28 pm »
Hello, had a look in the search bar and found a few things but not exactly what i needed to know
my g40 has always had a stupidly heavy clutch, it squashed the rubber thing on my first cable so got a new one and 2 weeks later and the crappy plastic bit the goes on the clutch peddle. luckily managed to get one ordered to work the same day and fit it.
my question is, is my clutch fudged? the biting point is fine, it doesnt slip, though it does judder and is very heavy. but im not sure if its gone
i phoned vw and they are obsolete, so i phoned gsf and they only make a crappy cheap one for £60 the guy didnt even know the make. they dont do an luk one
Found a few LUK ones on ebay (complete kit) for around £100 anyone had any experience with these?
much appreciated
sorry if this has already been covered but ive had my car for a few months now and everyone has commented on how crap the clutch is. but im not sure if thats just how the g clutch is, being 21 years old, or if mine needs doing as im skint at the moment haha
Taylor

Offline z3i

• Members
Re: Insanly heavy clutch 2 snapped clutch cables
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:04:42 pm »
Also whereabouts are the gearbox codes marked? the only markings i can find are ALG with a vw, audi stamp embossed next to the ns driveshaft flange
what should i be looking for and where?
i have a feeling its not an atv gearbox, when crusing along the motorway the revs sit rather high
what rpm are people seeing at 80mph on an atv gearbox
many thanks Taylor

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:12:06 am »
I've never had to touch my clutch on my car so I wouldn't no what kit to go for, but its not exactly stiff?

As for the gear box code, it's under the thermostat housing, quite tricky to get a look at and normally coverd in crud, I think if you put your head up by your expansion bottle and look down at the gearbox it's quite easy to see, but like I said, coverd in crud, give it a blast with some brake cleaner or WD-40 and a wipe!

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 11:33:27 am »
That sounds like the support bearing for the nose of the input shaft on it's way out. You get a slight skew on the clutch plates in relation to the splines on the shaft, making for a very heavy action.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 11:42:59 am »
Luk clutches are fine. I've used one with up to 150 brake and they've lasted well. G clutches can be very light.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:52:12 pm »
Cable angles are very important! when you fit a cable dont just throw it in and away you go. there should be a metal clip coming off the gearbox on which to hold the cable, there is a rubber sleeve on the outer cable to slot into the clip. its never in the correct place so what i do it get the cable so where it comes out of the steering rqack there isnt a tight turn as it goes behind the engine. i use a jubilee clip on the cable so it doesnt pull back to a tight turn. this makes a big difference! and you will get through less cables!

All in the past for me anyway now as i converted mine to hydraulic.

if it is as stiff as normal when you have ensured the cable routing is good then its a good bet something is up and should probably split the gearbox from the engine and have a look at how the pressure plate is wearing

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 03:35:35 pm »
Thanks supermario found the code :) it has (ATV 14051) stamped on the box was covered in crap like you said
also noticed the selector rod seal is leaking :(
The input shaft bearing? oh that would suck! the whole gearbox requires disassembley to replace that bad boy doesnt it? where would i even get hold of a new seal and bearing for the input shaft? lol
i may just have to bite the bullet and get a new clutch, whilst the gearbox is out is there anything else worth changing? other than the things already mentioned?
i think im a bit more keen to do it now i know i have the rather rare ATV box and not anything else

Youngprodigys, i dont quite follow the use of the jubliee clip bit could you explain more as im a retard, i double checked my cable and its all clipped in the correct parts (though i have noticed im missing the spring on the gearbox arm) i see what you mean about the tight angle coming out of the steering rack
Hydro clutch? this would solve many problems :) was it difficult? and is it possible to do to the atv box? what is the feel like? got any links for a how to?
Thanks Taylor

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 06:18:27 pm »
You don't have to break the box to renew the input shaft support bearing, it's in the middle of the flywheel. Something you'd replace as a matter of course when fitting a new clutch. It's just a simple push fit bronze bush.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 08:58:22 pm »
You don't have to break the box to renew the input shaft support bearing, it's in the middle of the flywheel. Something you'd replace as a matter of course when fitting a new clutch. It's just a simple push fit bronze bush.

im thinking of a completely different bearing then. is this the release bearing? im thinking if the one that sits integral to the gearbox that supports the main input shaft. it then has an oil seal and a dust cover over the top of it? then the release bearing sits on top of that? thats the one i thought he was talking about

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 12:52:36 pm »
what i meant by the jubilee clip - you put it round the cable where the gearbox clip is to stop it being pulled through - as over time it will want to straighten up = a tight bend on the steering rack end - the clip stops this happening. havent got the setup any longer to take a photo.

the hydraulic route was lots of fabrication, not easy! there is no how to.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 02:38:05 pm »
Looked at this on VagCat and it doesn't use a bush in the flywheel to support the input shaft so that's out. Also a bearing wearing out in the box where the shaft exits would probably show a leak; any signs? Another option is the bearings on the release lever. You should be able to check them by removing the cable and waggling the lever about.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 04:42:54 pm »
im betting a bent pedal box and an old clutch cover plate+ dry arm pivots in the box

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 05:07:32 pm »
Checked the release leaver, no play there. and no theres no leaking at the bottom of the box. or any obvious signs the input shaft seal has gone. my mondeo input shaft bearing and seal went. the gearbox was really loud and there was oil everywhere. so im pretty sure its not that. thanks for looking it up though mate :)

My clutch peddle is bent to the right when you look at it, but its not stiff or anything moves freely when you disconnect the cable. also when i push down on the clutch it moves the brake peddle to the side a little. didnt really think much of this, got a new peddle to replace it just to be sure. but when i got it of another car i found the little white plastic insert was all distorted anyway
Taylor

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 07:09:37 pm »
Most likely has snapped springs in the diaphram on the friction plate.. happened to me before..

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 11:38:09 pm »
Most likely has snapped springs in the diaphram on the friction plate.. happened to me before..

Oh really? im gonna have to get my box off and check it all over
will also have a proper look at the peddle box, may even take it off (need to bleed my brakes anyway)

Ah young prodigys, i see what you mean now :) cheers