Author Topic: X relief relay  (Read 6938 times)

Offline metalblue

• Members
X relief relay
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:11:49 pm »
Hi all, new to g "scene" but think I have problem with my x contact relief relay..was wondering if anybody knew the part number at all so I can get sorted hopefully for weekend

Cheers folks

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: X relief relay
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:19:00 pm »
Where is the relay located? I think i got one of each as a spare.

Offline metalblue

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:34:36 pm »
On the main fuse box relay panel I believe, not sure what position.   I'd need to listen to which one closes when ignition is turned on but mine not working! Haha.   I can check any part numbers with my local helpful VW if you have a few to choose from.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:39:01 pm by metalblue »

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:30:16 pm »
Just checked the wiring diagrams in haynes, your after the X contact relief relay number 14 right, it has 4 pins, 85,86,87 and 30. You can see where the wires go to on the pins, im sure i got one but i think you can get these from maplin. I got a relay with the same pins i used for my standalone oil kit. Surely it would work the same? Will have a look tomorrow afternoon and let you know if i got one.

Offline metalblue

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:49:46 am »
That's fantastic Jez, really appreciate your help.   I'm pretty sure this is defective on mine as the blower doesn't work on any settings (fuses and resistor ok) nor does the rear screen heater and I know this relay closes off the non essential high power items at cranking.

Offline metalblue

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 03:06:04 pm »
Well little update now I've finally managed to get out to have a proper look.  I believe it's relay 53 behind the passenger lower shelf. 

VW show part numbers as original part number AK0951253
replaced with part number 4H0951253a and these show as contact relief relays...I've ordered one from VW for £14 and will let you know if that fixes my blower/rear de-mister not working.

Offline metalblue

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 07:40:19 am »
Well it wasn't the relay.   By sheer luck I was pressing on my demister switch and it kicked into life, so that's just a dodgy switch - am I right to assume with stereo removed its easy access to replace switch?

Going to go for straight live feed to blower to see if that's not the problem...probably should have tested that first but with the demister it sort of made sense that it was the relief relay.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:42:30 am »
the switch just pulls out forwards, don't even need to remove the stereo.

Offline metalblue

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 11:50:29 pm »
Ah magic even easy than the mk1...thanks for that

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 11:06:28 am »
In my experience, de-mister switches are prone to poor operation, but even a new one doesn't last long before going dodgey again. Try cutting it open with a hot scalpel to get to innards for a cxlean.

Offline metalblue

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 12:45:56 pm »
Ah cheers, I've ordered one from VW (last available apparently) but will try clean it.   It's wierd as when fully open you push the switch back towards close about 1mm and it fires into life and is fine.  Will def try and clean the one I take out.   

Cheers again