Author Topic: PeteG40 - windscreen seals  (Read 6258 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
PeteG40 - windscreen seals
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:25:50 pm »
So today I've sorted out a niggle on my car.

Short version is, six years ago my windscreen was smashed by a rock on the M25. The windscreen fitter who replaced it filled the channels of my old seal with silicone sealant, which blocked the drainage holes. I moaned, I got them to re-fit it, but the seal never sat right afterwards.

So when I came to get the car resprayed last year, I cut the thing apart thinking it'd be easy to find a new one. It wasn't. Volkswagen doesn't sell them any more, and you can't re-use old ones as they stretch over time and don't seal properly. So I had to buy a non-OE item - all you can get these days - which isn't as wide as the real thing and doesn't have the ridge in the middle. Not earth-shatteringly awful, but a bit annoying.

Here's what the pattern part looks like. Doesn't marry up to the lines of the car at all.

Pete's managed, somehow, to get the real thing. I've had it fitted today, after a really quick turnaround on shipping, and my god does it look better than the tardy pattern part. The fitter reckons it'll actually hold water out better than the last one too, so fingers crossed.

One nice, flush-fitting OE windscreen seal:

Basically, for £16 it's a bargain. If you're keeping your car for a while and value having the right bits on it, then it's even worth having one as a spare as they're only going to get harder to lay your hands on.

Happy.

Offline z3i

• Members
Re: PeteG40 - windscreen seals
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 06:22:45 pm »
This is from pete? £16!?! you sure? haha, my mk2 golf one cost £30 for a crappy OE one, this looks really good. what brand is it? does he just do front screen seals?

Thanks for posting this up :)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:03:38 am »
Plus postage... ;)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:18:26 am »