Author Topic: PPP Remapping  (Read 15480 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
PPP Remapping
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:50:44 am »
Just a link to my thread about remapping I've had done by Andy & Yoof at PPP.  As you'll prob know they are both personal friends of mine but that doesn't mean I'm just pimping out their services for the sake of it, they've done a very good job on the mapping on my car and I'm really happy with how it is, the proof will be on the rollers in a couple of weeks but I know already that on the road it's bloody rapid.

head a read here:

http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3029.0.html

Offline DMWG40

• Members
Re: PPP Remapping
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 02:37:17 pm »
do they have a website ?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 02:42:19 pm »
they do but it's currently being built:

http://www.poloperformanceparts.co.uk/

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 11:04:47 pm »
il second this - Andy popped over to mine and got my G running much better, top bloke and really helpful. recommended!

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:13:01 pm »
Polo Performance Parts did me a custom remap in January, and frankly I couldn’t be happier with the result.

The aim was to map my AAV turbo with three main goals in mind –
1. Achieve decent power
2. Make it a smooth drive – it’s a 20k/yr daily
3. Preserve the engine – after all it’s only an AAV and some moron bolted a turbo to it

Andy talked me through the process – first he’d map the idle then move on to part throttle and full throttle mapping. Fast apparent was an issue with the idle. Pete and Andy expertly diagnosed this as incorrect injectors – they were too efficient for the high compression engine and lead to overfueling. They were quickly changed for some standard G60’s and the mapping continued. The idle was sorted and then part throttle taken care of. During the mapping process the narrowband lambda is disconnected to prevent the ECU from fighting the ongoing map adjustments. Particularly impressive, was Andy’s ability to tune the map precisely the correct amount – on part throttle around town driving the wideband showed near stoichiometric and the car is very smooth.

The next bit was fun. On Andy’s advice we decided to first map full throttle at 10psi, later moving on to 15psi. This would reduce the stress on the engine during mapping whilst still allowing the map to be tailored to the full capability of the standard map sensor. As luck would have it we stumbled across a section of 3-lane, dual carriageway ‘private road’ perfect for the task. As more ignition advance was dialled in I was soon simultaneously crapping my pants and giggling like a schoolgirl. After a few runs the map was sorted.

Before leaving we did a few final checks to be sure all was well and I was left with the luxury of a drive home with a freshly mapped, infinitely improved car!

The results speak for themselves. On my commute I still get good mpg, in fact pretty much exactly the same as with the old GT management (at 10psi) – a remarkable 41mpg. At the Club Polo rolling road day it did this at 15psi:

I think it’s fair to say that the general consensus on the day was that the flywheel figures on a variety of cars were a little optimistic. Even if you said 160-165bhp I’m chuffed to bits. Not bad for an engine that made 55bhp from the factory!

Remember this engine configuration is quite dissimilar to the standard G40 – and as such the map needed to be somewhat different. This isn’t really just tweaking the original map anymore, but rather building up a fresh new one from scratch. I think this speaks volumes for PPP’s ability and skill. Top job!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:15:46 pm by cheys03 »

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:48:57 pm »
Great job Chris with the build and andy with the map, very impressive figures there mate i'd be chuffed :)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 07:04:40 pm »
Just want to add to this post.

Carried out the mapping with andy about 4 weeks ago now. The mapping was brilliant and i would never take my g40 anywhere else for mapping. Didnt have to do a lot on the fuel side of things as my previous map was very near, only difference was i had a 1341 bottom end and a ported head instead of bvh. So once that was all sorted the car felt like it was a rocket and it was the 1st time since mid june i smiled while driving my car  ;D

Drives really smooth through all the gears and pulls very well, A/F mix is spot on and my MPG has increased too, with the help of the bigger bottom end. Cant say thank you enough though as if it wasn't for the mapping my g40 would of been sold.

Big thanks again to PPP!

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »
What a fantastic read this thread is.

Loved the Line - I was soon simultaneously crapping my pants and giggling like a schoolgirl. After a few runs the map was sorted.

Quality!

Fred.

Offline POLO.P

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 06:32:35 pm »
just had my polo turbo remapped by andy on sunday and it is driving better than ever. smooth power delivery and plenty of power.....couldn't be happier. He carried out all of the basic checks first and mapped the car slowly increasing the boost level, took his time no rushing around and i am 100%happy with the result.

Had a few runs with my brothers mk2 20vt running 270bhp and it wasn't far off.

top job!!!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:46:04 pm »
I had my car mapped a while ago havnt had it on a rolling road yet but im expecting around 190bhpish. mapping was great and was realy helpful and informative explains whats going on step by step, what to look for infuture general had a good laugh and scared the pants of me !
The car is now great to drive and very quick highley recommended i will be doing a full build thread and that will include mroe detail on the mapping if any one is intrested.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 11:02:18 pm »
Is it advised to have a wideband before the mapping session?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 11:30:45 pm »
not essential but it helps compare the accuracy of your one to the one andy uses.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:07:00 pm »
Andy likes nothing more than to be strapped into a Polo with his laptop  ;)

Done a good amount of maps now, with excellent results each time (despite a few mechanical failures along the way...myself included!)

Calibrations done for 'non-standard' Digifant equipt cars:

AAV Turbo, (Chris')
1.6 8v Lupo Turbo (K03)
3F Turbo (machined Pistons & K03)

Offline josé

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 09:50:48 am »
I had my G40 turbo re-mapped by PPP a few weeks ago and would like to say i was very impressed with the service and information provided,
I'm running a standard bottom end and head with 1.5bar of boost and wanted to make sure the fuelling and general running of the car was spot on.
I arrived at Andy's and he fitted a modified ecu with a 250kpa map sensor already prepared so it would just be a bolt on job, fit the larger 315cc injectors and away we went, firstly we started with general low rpm driving and then it was the fun part winding the boost up, Because i had a yellow spring fitted to my forge actuator it had to be tensioned quite alot, I went abit overboard and tightened the actuator rod as tight as it would go  :P not a good move as when i put my foot down the boost spiked at 2bar and the turbo decided that was too much and shit itself  :D luckily Andy had a spare turbo which after a small donation from myself it was fitted but cost us a few hours mapping time, Moral of this story is don't buy cheap chinese turbo's as this one had only covered about 800miles,  After it was fitted and the car was slowly mapped up with 1.5bar of boost this time i didnt go too mad with the tensioning of the actuator rod, when the original narrowband lambda sensor was plugged back in because the mapping is done with it unplugged the car started to idle quite poorly and cut out,
Andy suggested that the injector voltage correction curve could need a tweak he sent out a modified chip and the car is running spot on now.
The car doesnt get much use but when it does its alot of fun to drive with around 180hp on tap.

If you want your G40 mapping, personally i wouldn't consider using anyone else other than PPP.

Many Thanks,
Josh