Author Topic: What's the going rate for a tinted windscreen?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
What's the going rate for a tinted windscreen?
« on: November 02, 2012, 05:07:19 pm »
I've got a chip on my screen, which I'm getting repaired next week. Supposedly.

If it can't be repaired, and I'm concerned it can't be, then my screen excess is £80.

What's the going rate for a windscreen at Volkswagen these days? And has anyone bought a tinted screen from somewhere else for less than £80? Such as, say, does anyone have an unetched one going spare for cheap?

Offline SuperMario

• Members
Re: What's the going rate for a tinted windscreen?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:51:40 pm »
I payed £110 for a new tinted screen and rubber from A company called amd(I think), you'll do well to find one for £80 unless like you say it's second hand!
But if your getting a screen put in, there's nothing like a nice new one, and for £80 I'd be happy.

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:54:19 pm »
Just looked in my books, was A.V.G.

I can give you there number and the part number for the screen? The screen on its own was £83.67+vat, rubber was £8+vat. Fitting was free.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 06:44:22 pm »
A year ago a new tinted screen from VW was £81.06 inc VAT (with a small discount applied). I guess it comes down any requirement for an VW original screen (shows etc?) and if you're willing to fit it yourself, or pay someone a little to do it for you?

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 10:20:24 pm »
mobile auto windscreens done mine - was like £90 fitted for a tinted one and that was 3 months ago

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 07:04:00 pm »
I went to VAG TPS about 6-7 months ago and they said it was just over £70.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 12:45:00 pm »
Shit, thought I'd replied to this.

To cut a long story short, I've gone for a new screen.

The chip is in the MOT failure part of the windscreen, and it's just large enough that a jobsworth tester could fail me for it. So, while I can get it repaired on my insurance, I'm going to do it. No point forking out £25 for a repair only to still have to replace the screen for its next MOT.

I'll be watching them fit it this time. Last screen I had fitted as a replacement job they filled the seal with sealant which blocked all of the drainage holes on the scuttle and flooded the passenger footwell.  ::)

Offline mark_crox

• Members
  • www.mk2polo.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 04:43:34 pm »
Check to see what screen rubber they use to if they cut yours to take it out.. As they used a non-moulded type on mine which is slightly annoying as it doesn't match the rest of the car now :( Pete can supply the moulded ones :)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 10:42:09 pm »
That's what I've got on mine anyway, I did think about replacing it but the swap is booked in for Monday so I don't have time. I'm not overly bothered though.