Author Topic: My G bready from day 1 to present day  (Read 15503 times)

Offline POLOMON

• Members
My G bready from day 1 to present day
« on: November 01, 2012, 11:51:05 am »
Hi All,
 Given not many know about my car i thought i may aswell get a build thread up, only with the help of the members on here have i got where i have now! so this is a small thank you and to give you an insight on what i have actually been doing. Ofcourse with any build thread they dont show the stress you go through but hey, im sure you all know what that is like anyway! Would we change it for anything in the world? Well... ye, a nice lottery win and let someone else do the work lol....

So, started off roughly 12 months ago as a 1 lady owner (not great i know) full vw service history (also, not great) VW polo breadvan 1.0 catalyst. Nothing special, discovered tucked away in a small coutry garage by my cousin, quick call to me and i was later on the blower speaking to the garage to see what they knew! Sales chappy wanted ONE THOUSAND POUNDZZZ! Yes, really! Or my corsa and £800 and well, that was taking the piss so i left disheartened. Later my mum found out and got on the line to the guy, god knows what happened but it later got collected for £300 with 12 months tax and MOT which it had neither of when i went asking! lol.

Not alot happened the first few weeks as i was still collecting parts and paying my mum back for actually getting the car, it was a full on impulse buy and well i was caught off guard at the end of the month with no money!
 Couple of weeks went by, nothing much changed but i soon ended adding a few bits:

ended up with abit of this:

Added some nice wheels in 7 and 8" flavour off Guy (Mclovin) :

Thinking to myself i wanted a nice tidy 16v hybrid conversion i started tidying my bay out abit, not thinking much into it more working it out as i went:

Decent steering arm angles achieved also with the coilover conversion :D

Thinking more with going N/a a custom 2" PipeWerx exhaust was purchased and fitted:

On the ramps at PipeWerx:

Done:

Found me a bora to compare ride heights, as you do haha:

At this point i was fairly happy, money was coming in for the 16v conversion and i had a few bits to keep me going until i could afford the fancy bits.

Thats where the boredom started and i did this:

Then the weight saving started, all sound proofing was removed bar the door bits, never got around to that!

Got my fuel lines inside and did abit more in the engine bay:

This is where the fun really started, the full rebuild!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:10:46 am by POLOMON »

Offline POLOMON

• Members
Re: My G bready from day 1 to present day
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:39:15 pm »
This is where it got interesting, i started the big strip down for the 16v and a general paint, thats it really.... things kinda spiraled, as they do....

I started stripping and removing things and causing havoc as i went:

After that episode i had to then consider fitting things back on! soooo, out came the thinking cap and a hammer.... :P

New location for the fuse box and wiring loom through the inner arch as can be seen in this below pic:

Loom tucked down the inner wing, conduit and plenty of tape to keep it safe, no... the wheel is nowheere near on lock ;-)

Now the heater was removed i had a huge void in the dash so both radio and heater areas got blanked with carbon sheet. Also in this pic is another of my issues, wiring!

Loom started off like this stripped, fixed the prone weak spots, extended when applicable and fitted roughly:

As things started to progress i added more and more to the centre console eventually having a much more practical dash space:

The dash panel bolts are now all gold anodised, a pic i shall get later in the week.
 The large space next to battery cut off will be the fire extinguisher and kill switches i plan, not yet done.

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:53:32 pm »
During this time all sorts of bits were coming in, only got a couple of pictures but im sure you can all see whats been done.
 Everything was painted,cleaned usual stuff. Everything bar the rear beam, driveshafts and front ARB is new and upgraded, nothing is stock, if your doing something i saw fit to do it properly and upgrade at the same time:

Everything was thoroughly cleaned before refit:

Now the fronts, also thoroughly cleaned:

Now at this time i was in the mood for painting so i carried in with the engine bay:

Now i have no real pictures of the next few steps BUT, it involved abit of spraying and over spray and i was left with this:

The colour is a rare american/canada market green that was realsed for a few months before being removed from the options list (presumably due to lack of sales in said colour)... im still not sure i like it either!

Now something that had always happened with the high offset wheels is the wheels caught the arb, sooo i made some nice lockstops:

Polished a few bits:

(stainles steel water pipe)

The build up then started, I must stress now that i was NEVER intending a show bay and it most definitely will never be one, i just wanted a easy to work in space nice and clean and thats it!  ;D

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:03:21 am by POLOMON »

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 01:56:59 pm »
Now that was done i got abit bored, moved back to inside the car and got the fuel system inside, less chance of damage there:
All items are to be upgraded, the fuel pump is a uprated BMW item, other items are stock, i ran out of free cash at this point (had just settled on my engine of choice, i needed G smiles!....)

Nice big battery box, i will run a k1100 motorbike item eventually, but for now, a stock item will suffice!

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 02:07:05 pm »
Now the fun part, engine collection.... No pictures but it was eventful towning a trailer in a heavily lowered pug 306 1.4 down the M62 with a G in the back....

Said pug, just so my mate feels loved haha (this is a current pic of the car finished....) :

Engine had the big ends off to check hear (all good) a new headgasket, a clean, usual stuff really.

Then the fun part, in she went!

Once she was done she had a small tart up, nothing special:

Rocker cover, throttle body, charger, few other alloy bits are getting polished, like i say, not for show appearance, just because im sad haha.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:31:16 pm by POLOMON »

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 02:15:51 pm »
The gearbox was never painted as i want a good quality item to keep long term with a diff and low miles. If anyone has one, hit me up :D

I know shes not to everyones tastes, way too low for a G40, too low for a polo, not a perfect track machine BUTTTT, i never did it for that, i did it for me and for me only. As always all comments and criticisms greatly welcome  ;D

I'll write a ''spec'' list later, im having a break now haha.

Thanks for looking.

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 04:28:38 pm »
I hate how i have to phrase this but, "Spec" as follows:

Engine:
G40 PY engine, 120k miles approx. recent minor rebuild.
51mm throttle body
ported charger (spec unknown, quite a heavy port though)
lightened flywheel
smaller pulley (size escapes me)
Stainless 4 branch
2" stainless system
chip to suit
mk1 golf radiator
slimline fan

Soon to be a few more bits....

Running gear:
KW type 2 rear coilovers
Raceland mk1 golf front coilovers
Larger golf CV's
Powerflex TCA inners
G-lader poly outer
Solid ally arb mounts
2" engine lift front, 2" gearbox, 1" back
type 2's and mintex fast road pads
rear disk conversion
fuel and brake lines inside car
G-lader rear beam mounts
Rover rear ARB
7 and 8x13 powertechs

Interior:
Fibreglass buckets
No trim bar dash plastics
MOMO 320mm wheel
grip taped floor/pedals
Battery in boot area
Boost/Oil temp/oil pressure gauges in radio insert
battery cut off in dash
sound proofind/deadening removed

Couple of asis pics from a couple of weeks ago :-)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:59:34 am »
You mentioned a front ARB upgrade, what was this? Where is the rear beam ARB from as mine 100% does not have that!

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 09:23:07 am »
Hi, sorry justin the wording isent very clear I ment driveshafts, rear beam and front arb are the only thing that are originally from the car and not upgraded.

The wording is so badly spelt as the "add reply" box kept jumping about when it had a few pictures and lines in it. Not sure if that's normal but its a pain in the arse.

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 10:52:01 am »
nice project mate enjoyed ready through it..... how does it ride with kw coilovers?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 03:08:52 pm »
But the rear bar, it has an anti roll bar on it. Where did you get that from?

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 05:52:11 pm »
Cheers Gaz, tbh its hard to say, with it being so low it doesent handle exactly as it should given whats done, howeverrrr when mot came I did lift it about 3" and add stock wheels, now bar the stock wheels it handled bloody well!  Nice and smooth tbh, was very impressed.

Justin, sorry, forgot to reply to that bit! The arb is (iirc) a rover 200 item with rover 400 front antiroll bar front drop links ;-)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:53:02 am by POLOMON »

Offline erixtar1992

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 12:08:05 am »
fair play man! quick?

Offline POLOMON

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 09:12:11 am »
Not too bad eric.... Got to find a decent ATV and diff and then more power like.

Offline MaxGT

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 10:26:06 am »
Looks really good ben.

Is it running just the standard 113bhp then?