Author Topic: Vac Gauge. Mk2 golf Carb pull down  (Read 1785 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
Vac Gauge. Mk2 golf Carb pull down
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:28:45 pm »
Hi people, im asking this on here as its the only forum i go on now. does anyone have much experiance with carbs? mk2 golf 1.6 2e2 to be exact.
im having some problems, my car runs like crap in the really cold mornings for about 2 minutes until it gets warm, and then idles at around 2k and slowly drops as the engine gets warmer
the choke works, but stays on for too long
i bought a really smart vac/pressure gauge from snap on, as it doubles up as a brake bleeding kit
i checked my inlet mani vacuum and it was normal, 21/22 hg steady
is there any way to check the pull down unit as i hear they always go wrong?
much appriciated Taylor

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Vac Gauge. Mk2 golf Carb pull down
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 11:59:02 am »
I swapped out the 2e2 for a weber when I had a driver and managed to get neither working. The best place for advice I found on this subject was CGTI. There are a few people on there who really know their stuff with these things but use the search I'm sure its all been covered at some point on there!

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:26:22 am »
My only advice would be to ditch whatever's on there and fit a weber, expensive unfortunately, but from memory they're a better design and fairly easy to set-up. I fitted two in the past with no trouble, but I was working at a garage and it was about 7 years ago now so can't say much more than that I'm afraid.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:07:58 pm »
I had a look on club gti, but it wasnt a great deal of help even after loads of searching and reading
nearly every response was "buy a weber" lol i only wanted to find out if something simple was wrong so it could be rectified as the car is for sale (currently taken a deposit) picking my g40 up sunday :D
thats why i dont want to fit a £300 weber lol
but thanks anyway