Author Topic: Eaton Supercharger  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Dirrt

• Members
  • #actlikealadythinklikeadirrt
Eaton Supercharger
« on: November 17, 2008, 01:17:40 pm »
Can someone please tell me what the difference is with the eaton :-[

I have heard off them before obviously, aren't they bigger?
Where did they originate from/what car/idea etc?
What performance do they give/hard to get hold off etc?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Eaton Supercharger
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:24:44 pm »
difference between that an a 40mm g-lader I assume?

It's a totally different type of supercharger.  They use two twisted rotors (not quite screw shaped but similar).  It's a development of the Roots supercharger which has been in use since the early 20th century, initially on planes, then on powerful racing cars of the day and then on factory cars.  When you see those big American V8s with huge superchargers sat on top of the engine poking out of the bonnet, these are Roots blowers.

It's the Eaton M45 from a BMW-Mini Cooper S that people use, lots of different sizes of Eatons are available on other cars such as Merc Kompressors, Jaguars to name just a couple.  They are a strong, chunky design which can be revved pretty highly without damaging it.  It's actually not as efficient as a g-lader supecharger in that it requires more engine effort to provide a certain air flow than a g-lader does and it produces more heat. 

People have used them to get powers approaching 200bhp.  Eaton M45s are usually found on ebay or for sale sections of here or club polo.  They come from John Cooper Works conversions on new Mini Cooper S.  What happens is JCW takes in brand new minis and simply swaps the original charger for a worked on replacement.  So the standard hcarger is surplus to requirements and fairly worthless.  Although more and more people have now cottoned onto the fact that they are useful for boosting smallish engines so they are more sought after these days.  Plus the current mini cooper s uses a turbocharger so the supply of brand new Eaton M45s is drying/dried up.  My point is, they will get rarer and more expensive as time goes on.

Some further reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Lader

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_type_supercharger

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Superchargers/M45/index.htm

Offline Dirrt

• Members
  • #actlikealadythinklikeadirrt
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:45:31 am »
Ahhh I see, yeah I had heard of the M45 Eaton and I knew it was used many moons ago!
Thanks for the brilliant reply hayesey, you have educated the dirrt some more :D  ;)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:17:40 pm »
what works done to the re-worked charger then and could it be utilised on a G ?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 09:54:42 am »
I don't know really, John Cooper Works might even tell you if you pretend to be an interested potential customer  ;D

Although I'd have thought you could forget about trying to get hold of a JCW charger, only way would be to find a written of JCW Cooper S I'd have thought.  Maybe JCW will sell you one but I dread to think what the cost would be! 

It might even be something as small as putting a smaller pulley on.

Offline G4O LP

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 10:30:24 am »
Yep the only difference is the pulley size and the fact they only used the 5th gen eatons which had the teflon coated blades.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:32:51 am by G4O LP »

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 06:11:39 pm »
If you really want to know the specs of the JCW chargers I can find out, a friend of mine is good mates with the "coopers".

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 05:20:28 pm »
its just a smaller pulley and remap to suit

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'