Author Topic: Charger belt catching.  (Read 4250 times)

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
Charger belt catching.
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:47:15 pm »
Just another quick one guys. Ive fitted my PSD phase2 pullies and a new belt, but when i tension it up, it fouls on the bottom of the engine mount where its smooth.

So I was wandering if it had been designed like that to stop the belt slapping about everywhere?

Cheers in advance. Think im just going to run it and we'll see what happens  ;D   

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: Charger belt catching.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:53:44 pm »
I thought it was usual practice to shave a bit off the arb mount to accommodate it?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »
Yeah just shave a bit of metal off. tis what i done

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:38:28 pm »
the ARB mount or an engine mount?

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »
If you mean the engine mount and the belt is rubbing on the underside as it goes from the crank pulley to the charger pulley I would check your belt length. It may be too long meaning to tension it you're having to lift the charger too high. Either that or you're over tensioning the belt. It doesn't need to be as tight as the v-belts did.

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 07:11:13 pm »
If you mean the engine mount and the belt is rubbing on the underside as it goes from the crank pulley to the charger pulley I would check your belt length. It may be too long meaning to tension it you're having to lift the charger too high. Either that or you're over tensioning the belt. It doesn't need to be as tight as the v-belts did.

I know about the ARB mount, got to sort that out too  ::)

But yeah, I mean the underside of the engine mount. I have heard these belts can be a few teeth too long, so might go for the 125 tooth belt? I suppose it only needs to be slightly tighter than what the cam belt is, and its not counting on friction to turn the charger over right?

Cheers for all your advice guys, swear rebuilding an engine is never a straight forward job  ;D  

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 07:16:38 pm »
there's play in the alternator too (minimal) but if you waggle it about with all the bolts undone you can move it about a little bit- which may help

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:32:37 pm »
there's play in the alternator too (minimal) but if you waggle it about with all the bolts undone you can move it about a little bit- which may help

Thats a plan Pete! Will have a go tomorrow. The belt only needs to be slightly tighter so this option might just take up the slack! Cheers bud!

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 10:49:35 pm »
I just thought....too long would mean the charger goes too low..lol, it's been a while since I even had an engine to look at let alone a g-lader

Offline 1982mk1

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 11:28:23 am »
I just thought....too long would mean the charger goes too low..lol, it's been a while since I even had an engine to look at let alone a g-lader

Ive just had another look, and you pull the charger up to tighten the belt, hence why its catching!

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 11:47:01 am »
lol, In that case I was right first time. I'm getting old and my memory isn't all that good anymore.