Author Topic: twin V vs toothed  (Read 7470 times)

Offline mr p

• Members
twin V vs toothed
« on: November 17, 2008, 11:08:39 am »
hey lads and ladys. what are the differences are there in the twin V belt conversion and the toothed? do u get much slip with twin V? what are the problems u get with each etc. cheer for any help you give

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
Re: twin V vs toothed
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:19:31 pm »
Twin V's are the standard setup. Conversion include toothied belts and micro V belts

Offline mr p

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:50:50 pm »
ahhh i assumed they were standard but mine just looks like its been rubbing the cam cover and as a result sumone cut the bottom of it off. what are the micro V conversions? tell me what you know! :)

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:05:26 pm »
they are sold by G-laderseite.de, see their web site: http://www.g-laderseite.de/eshop/product_info.php?cPath=31_37&products_id=42

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:37:33 pm »
micro v's are the same as they use on Corrado's G60and other VAG alternators type drives, they offer more surface area for grip/drive, but still can slip.  Toothed don't slip(same as cam belt), but should something go wrong then tooth's are unforgiving, in case of a G-Lader failure the belts will keep driving possibly causing more damage, though I've not heared of many surviving any highspeed failures, I've been running tooth's for about 30k miles no problems at all!! And no slip either!!

Offline mr p

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 03:02:40 pm »
ive got myself some toothed pulleys. having trouble fitting them. there seems to not be enough clearence between the antiroll bar mount and the altenator pulley. the pulley is wider than the stock one. anyone else had any trouble fitting toothed pulley kits? or is it the done thing to mod the anti roll bar jobber?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 03:13:47 pm »
is you car an original or conversion? original g's have a notch in the arb mount which allows better clearance

Offline mr p

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 06:53:33 pm »
its a jabba r1 charger. they a totally different charger i assume then?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 07:07:50 pm »
no it's the normal supercharger but with the inlets and outlet ported.

Offline cam_d

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 07:20:08 pm »
should something go wrong then tooth's are unforgiving, in case of a G-Lader failure the belts will keep driving possibly causing more damage

how do you keep an eye on the belt, what i mean is do you reach a certain mileage then replace the belt? or do you just drive it till it snaps then replace? sorry newbie here  ::)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 08:03:58 pm »
not the charger - is the car an original g40 or a conversion?

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 07:06:52 pm »
should something go wrong then tooth's are unforgiving, in case of a G-Lader failure the belts will keep driving possibly causing more damage

how do you keep an eye on the belt, what i mean is do you reach a certain mileage then replace the belt? or do you just drive it till it snaps then replace? sorry newbie here  ::)
What I mean't was that if you have a mechanical failure in the G-Lader, then your toothed pulley will continue driving your charger as the inside gets minced(this was always my excuse for not fitting then tbh), but as I also said, I now run toothies, and with 30K on them and no belt change yet I'm not reeally worrying too much about it.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 08:41:07 pm »
to be honest that's going to happen no matter what belts you are running, Even v-belts are that easy to slip that they'll stop the mega soft metal the charger and scroll are made of mashing each other up

Offline mr p

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 10:51:59 am »
the car is original as far as i know. ive got a lot of history for the car but not the actual service book. engine mounts etc all seem nice and strong, not perished etc. have cut the anti roll bar mount to bits and made a new bracket because there wasnt enough room for it to be safe. belt was like 1mm away from anti roll bar mount and pulley was touching. when im finished i could get some pictures so you all can see if you like

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 10:58:01 am »
no-one i've ever known has had an issue... only with non-g40 arb mounts. weird one