Author Topic: oil cooler sandwich plate removal  (Read 1077 times)

Offline alexm866

• Members
oil cooler sandwich plate removal
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:14:12 pm »
the oil cooler setup on my car has caused me a right load of trouble, a braided oil line started leaking very rapidly with engine on, which thankfully i'm fairly sure i spotted before driving anywhere.

problem has been that one bolt on the cooler and one on the sandwich plate has become unremovable, totally seized to the point where the cooler gave in before the bolt, even more annoying they were on different hoses so neither line could be replaced giving a 50/50 chance of replacing the right one.

rant over i need to check how the sandwich plate is removed, as it was fitted before i owned it so haven't seen how they're fitted. also with the main body of oil being below in the sump can i get away with taking this off without draining the oil as replaced this probably only 500 miles ago.

thanks, for any advice in advance  :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:19:52 pm by alexm866 »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: oil cooler sandwich plate removal
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:34:55 pm »
remove the oil filter and then undo the big screw underneath.  the oil level wont be anywhere near the filter so yes you can do it without draining the oil.  There will be some oil sat in the filter so a bit is going to come out so watch out for that.

Offline alexm866

• Members
Re: oil cooler sandwich plate removal
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 01:09:42 am »
nice one  :) all sorted now