Author Topic: Rolling road day - full results  (Read 16145 times)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Rolling road day - full results
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 04:41:47 pm »
chatting this with andy, 8psi does seem low, even if everything is flowed to the max - maybe the charger isn't the best. Any chance of trying another or trying this on another car??

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 05:41:13 pm »
I was happy with my 137bhp with full blend charger, gt inlet, 65mm pulley, induction kit, heatshield, matching jabba spec chip and enlarged 'flame' spec exhaust.

Looking for my G60 chip so I can run my green injectors but it's been lost in the process of moving house :-(

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 05:49:08 pm »
8psi is very low - I was making 15psi with the same spec as you on a 1341cc bottom end with a healthy charger. It dropped to 12psi with a different worn one.

The 132cc extra swept volume you've got shouldn't restrict you to only 8psi - I'd have thought around 13psi would've been more like it.

Could be the charger, or could be something more simple like a boost leak?

Given your boost level I think the power was pretty good. Barney's old 1341cc G40 with everything done to it made 160bhp running stock (7psi ish) boost levels, so with the extra cc I reckon 167bhp is fair. His made over 190bhp at Aldon once it had a smaller pulley on it!

Was pleased with my 165bhp @ 14psi, it'd made 175bhp @ 17psi at Emerald, so I think the numbers are about right.

Since fixing a leaking manifold/turbo my Emerald boost control map had completely gone to pot, so I pretty much ended up mashing some numbers in and hoping for the best.

Need some time on a dyno to bring my 'normal' map back up to 17psi and sort out my proper map for 21psi so I can keep up with Yoof...

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 06:57:51 pm »
Neowwwmm

21psi (no aquapiss/retarded ignition- hence the torque dip):

25bhp Hit of Nitrous:

Still a fresh turbo too and currently no dump valve (not had time yet, cardinal sin!!!)

Think with more refinement I can hit 230bhp with the nitrous, then I'll be happy. Hoping for 12 sec 1/4 next year...  :D

Offline jules

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 07:02:07 pm »
very impressive figures yoof ...HOW THE FOOOOOK DO YOU CONTROL THAT... has it cost you a lot of mular to get that power

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 08:40:44 pm »
so yoof is yours that fastest G40 (ish) then?
you made good power there!!!

all good ill have to have a run down next year.

Offline tom

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 08:56:54 pm »
i was more than happy with mine 122 bhp and its only runnin a filter and cat bk exhaust and 123 thou on the clock  ;D

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 09:09:51 pm »
kinda depends how you view the nitrous.  Stu Baxter's car made 219bhp a few years ago with a similar-ish spec to yoof but with a G60 blower and no nitrous.  Although it didn't have he same chassis mods as yoofs so I doubt it'd have been as fast on the road.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 09:14:29 pm »
I know of quite a few in excess of 200bhp- as haysey said they're a similar spec to mine but with G60 Laders on.

1/4mile wise I've not heard of a FWD Mk3 Polo go quicker than 13.1 in the UK- unless someone can prove me wrong it's the fastest in that respect, with custom coilovers, Gripper LSD, Subframe & Wishbone Conversion I'd like to think it's one of the best handling ones out there too.

Cash wise to get it to this spec would cost in excess of £5k, I'm fortunate enough to have the skills and friends in good places to be able to do alot of things for less.

To be honest I enjoy driving (and ragging) more than anything else- as Haysey will verify!

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 09:56:32 pm »
yea thats the way i look at mine bhp figures are there for people with a small penis lol,
i just like to rag mine just wish i started out with just a GT now lol.
could of saved money there.

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 09:16:02 am »
Hmm... Interesting. It was running about 11 or 12 psi when it was 1272 and standard head so seems i was down on boost before and the the drop following the rebuild seems about right.

Will have a good scout around for boost leaks but it does hold 8psi pretty solidly, failing that will swap my charger over with my mates R1 spec one and see what happens and report back.

Did PSD do two different sizes for the toothed belt kits? Maybe mine isn't the smallest one?

Cheers guys.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 10:36:53 am »
you should get 1 - 1.1 bar on a standard head/inlet etc. with a flowed charger and toothies.  As far as i know they only came in 65mm size (well effectively spin the charger at a same rate as 65mm would)

Pete

Offline Dan_T40

• Members
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 07:01:35 pm »
I wrote a different user name down sorry as i wasnt actuly signed up. (g40poles)

I was also happy with my 153bhp result and it runs bout 15psi and im sure there a possibility of getting more out of it as im still running standard intercooler and injectors for a start!

I know that Dan Crebb witht the silver show car is running around 180bhp mark with G40 charger on so it is possible to get a good bhp figure with standard cc engine.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 12:11:59 am »
I was happy with my 137bhp with full blend charger, gt inlet, 65mm pulley, induction kit, heatshield, matching jabba spec chip and enlarged 'flame' spec exhaust.

Looking for my G60 chip so I can run my green injectors but it's been lost in the process of moving house :-(

Im surprised with this...i couldnt make it this year but last time i ran at the g40 rolling road day i got 130bhp (obviously only 7bhp less) with only the following mods, de restricted air box, de cat, dewedged throttle body and full blend charger that's all...considering your mods i personally would of expected more? could be wrong like but if i put the things you have on top of my few mods, smaller pulley, chip, gt inlet, exhaust...i'd hope for more than a 7 bhp increase?  strange that?  and then i remember that year Sam made 125bhp with a ported charger only!...

anyways...some impressive figures popping up for sure...makes me want to modify one properly..

gutted i missed it to be honest..always next year though!

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 01:11:07 am »
Hmm... Interesting. It was running about 11 or 12 psi when it was 1272 and standard head so seems i was down on boost before and the the drop following the rebuild seems about right.

Will have a good scout around for boost leaks but it does hold 8psi pretty solidly, failing that will swap my charger over with my mates R1 spec one and see what happens and report back.

Did PSD do two different sizes for the toothed belt kits? Maybe mine isn't the smallest one?

Cheers guys.

Have Beavis and Jonny tinkered with this build for you yet? That boost pressure does seem low for a full blend, you should be getting around the 14 psi mark with toothed pullies. On the bright side, once the boostage is upped, you will be hitting great power figures  ;D 

Shame i couldn't make it this year, looks like a good spread of results.