Author Topic: knackered wheel bolt thread in hub.  (Read 4894 times)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
knackered wheel bolt thread in hub.
« on: November 14, 2008, 10:19:52 pm »
sorting the wheels out whilst dong my usual maintenance and whilst checking the wheel nuts, noticed 1 bolt on each front wheel would spin but not tighten or loosen. undid the other 3 bolts and argued with the spinning bolt for ages before i managed to get it out.

On closer inspection, the 1st 2 threads inside the hub are flattened off so theres nothing for the bolt to grip. It seems abit pointless imo to change the hub just for one hole. just wondered the best course of action to get it fixed so i dont have to drive around with just 3 bolts in!

cheers.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: knackered wheel bolt thread in hub.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 11:38:01 pm »
might just need chasing - to get thread back, all else fails then new hubs/bearings arent that dear

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 08:04:22 pm »
well we managed to get the thread back (just!) on the passenger side hole that was fooked by using a wheelnut and screwing it in and out while leaning on the brace. The knackered thread on the drivers side just seems that lil bit more worn.

Could a tap & dye (sp) tool be used to get it back again. Its only the 1st two turns of the thread that are affected.

Offline g40_jez

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:08:12 pm »
[Could a tap & dye (sp) tool be used to get it back again. Its only the 1st two turns of the thread that are affected.
[/quote]

That's what peteg40 meant by "chasing" - just run a die thru it to clear the threads.  :)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 05:30:01 pm »
oh i see now. Not heard that term before. I'll get onto my mate and see if his dad has a t&d set i can borrow. need to get the bolt back in.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 06:07:21 pm »
If re-tapping isn't successful and money's tight, a nut welded to the back of the hub ?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 06:16:50 pm »
hmm - surely that'd be unbalaced and wobble about like hell?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 07:46:46 pm »
I'd replace the hub.  Just get one from a scrapyard.  New wheel bearing would be the only expense really as they are about £35, I wouldn't skimp on a GSF one as they have been known to not last too long.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 09:20:39 pm »
A nut on the hub at that radius would have negligible effect. If it did then one on the diagonal would cure it. I've seen this done a couple of times and it's been ok. It's just a cheap, keep you on the road sort of idea for when time and cash are in short supply.