Author Topic: Good Alarm/immobiliser  (Read 8468 times)

juan

Good Alarm/immobiliser
« on: November 14, 2008, 06:51:44 pm »
Just wondering what you peeps would recommend as a good alarm/immobiliser for my mk1 g40?

not overly bothered if its thatcham approved but aslong as it does it job and stops thieves :)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Good Alarm/immobiliser
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 02:19:04 am »
To be honest, it's more a question of finding someone capable of fitting it.

I paid £450 for my Toad Ai606 years ago from a supposedly reputable fitter and it's without doubt the worst thing I've ever done to my car.

The wiring was shocking, they drilled holes and mangled bodywork to fit stuff in, hacked my door membranes apart and cable tied the shock sensor onto my wiring loom, which made the alarm go off all the time. They also lost half the screws holding my dash together.

This meant when buses went past it'd start wailing, and my parents' house has a bus stop outside. However, when some arsehole smashed three windows it didn't bat an eyelid. Its latest trick is going off when it's deactivated, even while I'm driving the car. Either that, or not activating the siren at all and just flashing the lights until it drains my battery. It's a complete sack of shit.

It's saved me enough cash on insurance in the time I've had it that I can't moan much, but it's been a constant source of misery ever since it went in. I'd have been better off just buying some Toad stickers from eBay and a flashing LED.

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 11:53:40 am »
I had the exact same Toad alarm on my Mk1 Golf .... I thought it was poor.

People still recommend Clifford but I am in agreement with Alex about the fitting of it.

Luckily my G40 has it's own anti-theft device ...... the back brakes seeze (sp?) up if you leave it too long!! You can't move it anywhere!  I also have one of those random alarms that VW sometimes fitted to them with an annoying immobiliser you have to deactivate everytime you want to drive it. Grrrr!

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 08:57:22 pm »
Another Ai606 owner here, wish it wasn't in the car its more hassle than its worth!
Keeps my insurance company happy but its nothing more than an annoyance to me.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 11:34:39 pm »
Realy... The best thing you can do for security is a secret swich... Safe-cheap-no problems when alarm comes on at the midle of the night...

Offline SpikeyG40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 03:07:04 pm »
I have a clifford alarm on My G40.   The fitting was done by a really nice bloke, top work, came on a saturday and spent a cold winters day doing it.   I'd already taken apart most of the dash and door cards so he didn't have to bother (safer for him and my car in my opinion).

First thing that went wrong, the boot kept triggering the alarm, turned out that part of the push button on the boot was earthing on the body.   i quick fix with a file sorted that.   Next thing, the tilt motion sensor kept going off. A quick phonecall to the fitted and he told me how to adjust it.   Still didn't fix it so phoned him again, new one sent out, no problems.

Just over a year after having the alarm fitted and the siren has packed up.  So now it makes no sound whatsoever.   The guy doesn't work for the place anymore but was more than happy to give me somethings to try which included changing the fuse.   did all the things he suggested with no joy.

Phone up the company (GAP security), was told if it is the siren, then i will be charged for the siren and an alarm checkover which came to about £250!

Haven't had it sorted yet, but sometimes i just feel like ripping the bloody thing out especially as i want the car to be as original as possible.   Cost me alot of money and was such a waist.

so my next question does anyone have a clifford Concept 650 siren they don't want?  ;D

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:12:00 am »
I've heard other horror stories about GAP systems - and plenty from Sextons in Cardiff where mine was fitted. That branch of Sextons has since gone bust though.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 05:02:41 pm »
so is there any good ones then lol???

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 01:44:57 pm »
Seriouly is there?

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 02:06:06 pm »
Providing its professionally fitted I would get a Ai606.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 03:09:49 pm »
i just had a cat 2 immobiliser £120 pro fitted. Never had any issues with em fitted to 3 cars.  Toad Powerkey but I beleive now is the Sterling equivalent (apparently most toads are now sterling equivalent as with toads you get lifetime parts warranty, sterling you get a year! although both are same manufacturer)

Offline itsadubthing

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 11:50:47 pm »
I would recommend a clifford any day..  depending on where you are I have a qualified contact who could sort your out for a decent price and as a car lover hiself he isnt going to butcher yours.  pm me if you are intersted.

Offline Rick_dee

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 02:14:01 pm »
I have a toad powerkey cat 2 immobiliser fitted to my nissan terrano II and  recently i have been experienced problems with it to the point it had now packed up altogerther an i cannot start it. Now is there any advice someone can give me so that i can fix it myself as i have just been made redundant from work and money is a big issue, could anyone know how to bypass it temporary so i can use the car. any help would be much apreciated.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 02:22:26 pm »
did you fit the toad yourself? as toads have a lifetime warranty to the original owner

Offline Rick_dee

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 02:25:41 pm »
no it was fitted by the person who owned my car 6 months ago he now lives in austrailia