Author Topic: mk1 polo - project brown pound  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Hilf

• Members
mk1 polo - project brown pound
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:14:13 pm »
thought id stick this up on here.
its all up elsewhere so it might not make much sense until its up to date.
---

Well, i have just bought a mk1 polo.

So Klivert bought it off Lance and took some general bits off and took this pic in August i think:

£5 of petrol in it and a bit of redex and fired up off the bat. Carb needed some fettling and the radiator overflow was split so Lance sorted them out for me.

Whilst i removed seats, lifted carpets and sponged all the water on the floorpan out. That was when i found a brown pound coin, i thought it was a penny! So its now been coined project brown pound. I refitted the chrome side trim and generally tidied afew other bits up and looked it over in more detail before it got dark.

Going to get the bumper and grill on and afew other bits tommorow after work to get it ready to take for test asap.

I've already bought Derby headlights and some aero wipers for it. and im on the lookout for other parts all the time so let me know what you have.

No pics yet of how it is now but ill get some soon.

The plans are already forming but first and foremost is test and tax.

;D

---

Not a big one but a bit of an update.

more pics of how it stood yesterday. front bumper and grill has been refitted, as has the rear numberplate before it was dropped off tonight for its MOT tommorow. on the way to the MOT garage something went wrong, the exhaust flexi snapped clean in two. must be the awesome amounts of power ripping the exhaust to bits  :lol: .

fingers crossed for its MOT and hopefully ill get it back soon and can give it a clean and polish etc etc and make a start on whatever takes my fancy first.

also got it insured today and i can highly recommend Footman James Insurance for classic car policies. i got everything i wanted and more in my policy for a bargain price!

---

well it failed  :(

but its not that bad.
to pass it needs:
OSF spring
OSF wiper
wiring behind one of the headlights re-run
and it revs too high at idle (lance is going to sort this for me, i dont know enough about carbs yet)
ah, and not forgetting the exhaust flexi (but the guy sorted that before testing it i think)
think thats everything.

shouldnt be too long before its road going again then  :)

---

The brown pound

washed and then cleaned the inside of the glass

something thats really bothered me about the look of the car since i saw it before i bought it

some kind of stickaflex from gutter trims. but the gutters are all in good nick and there are no trims so i white spirited it off and it cleaned up well

then i took a break and went and dug around for some parts (hoarder) i may use for the polo
random ebay purchase

random german ebay purchase

polished and waxed

then took another break and sought some inspiration

B)

dont like the 4speed gearknob, never have and it was the first thing i removed from my mk3 1.0 so i had to decide what i wanted

decision made, but theres a problem

:P

bloody leak!!! want to get this sorted asap. at least i know there are no holes in the floorpan though.

bumpers and plastics blacked, well grayed

fitted these too

really needs lowered on shocks and springs or coilovers and some alloys stuck on.

Offline Hilf

• Members
Re: mk1 polo - project brown pound
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:19:15 pm »
little update

I've bought an engine

needed to get it out of the 6n it was in. that happened an hour here and an hour there this week.

B)
Came out the 6n polo today, with help from friends, and its now in my garage.

more to come soon  :D

---

"Gewindedampfer's" coming soon!

B)

---

"Gewindedampfer's"

Coilovers  :rolleyes:  have arrived today but need bearings etc and brakes before they can be fitted.

wheels were collected last night.

pic updates soon

---

pictures loaded! Photobucket is taking forever lately.

engine at home in the garage

coilovers are here, there not cheap!! but they should be good for a 160mm drop with the helper springs removed if i want it  :o  (just a gallery pic)

wheels  B)
Ally Cats (original ones, not repro ones). 13x8's all round with yoko a539's, running just a little stretch.

need a centre cap though if anyone has one or knows of one please let me know.

decided to trial fit them, they were never going to fit without some work but theyre not as far off as i thought they would be.

on the back

whilst trialing the wheel i fixed the leaky tank. no pics after but heres the leak  :lol:

trial fitted wheel on front

in the last pic the jack is down!  :lol:  serious arch gap!

may need to roll the arches or extend them

updates soon

---

been out this afternoon to collect something for the engine and it was nice and local too

it mixes fuel and air and rhymes with *cike barbs*  :ph34r:

well into it parts wise so far and only owned it a month now
 :lol:

---

more parts to collect before work can begin

---

This one looks like it's in a Dr Dre video from the early nineties. 8)

Offline Hilf

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:22:49 pm »
:rolleyes:

Vac Advance dizzy, coil & amp and ignition wiring arrived today which will aid in the use of running the bike cabs

little steering wheel aslo arrived today aswell to replace the original 30 year old hula hoop  :lol:

cant get a wheel boss to fit it though so ill have to come up with something.

---

DEAD
written off!

bastard!

---

someone went into the back of it at 7am today when it was parked outside mine

it will be going to the scrapyard without doubt and ill be selling everything parts wise that ive collected for it over the last year

i cant be arsed with cars anymore.

---

no idea. came off the roundabout and just ploughed into the back of it.

dont see many around nope, just hoping i can get enough £ back to break even from insurance.

and everything ive been collecting parts wise for it for the last year will now have to be sold. it was going to come off the road for everything to be done to it in april.

---

cheers for all the comments.

i wasnt far off taking it off the road (april when insurance runs out) and building it back up from a bare shell with new or repro panels all round where needed, new motor, running gear, coilovers, wheels brakes etc etc. just afew weeks ago i bought a donor mk3 polo for lots of random bits for the big rebuild. the only thing i hadnt sourced yet was an interior and i was ready to begin.

i very much doubt that ill get another mk1 polo and continue the project and this one will be taken away from me. but time will tell, id love another one, but it might come down to a financial decision as to what i end up doing.

anyway. story and pics. the guy came off the roundabout and ploughed into the back of my car. i could go into details but it still hurts thinking about it. so the pictures will tell the story. new polo hit mine, mine hit the mini in front and jumped the kerb and hit the railing too.

damage to every panel except the passenger door. the insurance havent even seen it yet but i know its a write off. it had only just passed 40k miles about 2 weeks ago.

need to wait and see what the insurance company will pay out on it and hope i dont lose too much money from it in the end up.

Offline Hilf

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 11:25:38 pm »
NEWSFLASH:

Hilf buys another mk1 polo shocker!!!!

:lol:

sneak peek
 B)

---

im not sure what its like really. bought it from a distance. need to get it home before i can check it over. sounds structurally solid which is the main thing. and theres a few plus points, its an earlier model and an LS so its got extra trim and spec and the motor isnt the original  :D .

i quite like it in red too. you dont often see red ones.

main problem is i now have 3 polos, 4 motors, 5 sets of wheels etc etc etc. and this was me trying to narrow everything down to just one car  :lol:

---

its also coming with some spare wheels

:o

---

i cant wait to get this thing home so that i can send my courtesy car back!!!

:D

---

update
not much really just a quick shuffle around   :blink: .
very boring too really but wanted to take some more pictures of the mk1 before it gets stripped down.

So today i heard they want my courtesy car back at the end of the week. good job ive made arrangements to collect the new mk1, so ill only be without a car for a day or two.

the mk1, looking very sad for itself. sat in this position unmoved and unstarted since january 4th when it was written off then moved and parked up.

need to move it so got in it and it started with the first turn of the key. it sat and did nothing for 61 days!! the motor sounded the best it ever has too. shifted it up the lane and dumped it for a while.

continued.......

then i needed to shift the mk3 which has been in the garage. no battery on it so whipped the mk1 battery out and stuck it on the mk3, got it out and dumped it up the lane too, cant ever leave them there though, they have to be on my property.

just thought id sly this in. new purchase. tucked right into the corner of the garage.

then managed to get the mk1 in in front of it. with about about 4inches to spare  :o . just enough to close the garage door from inside.

brought the mk3 back onto my land (this is going to be broken. if you need anything let me know. i wont be keeping it long though).

continued....

also had this patchwork mk1 polo front panel hanging on the wall for a while now. might be of use to someone? so its for sale for £20 posted the same as what i paid for it or free if collected. i never even took all the packaging off so its as i recieved it. let me know if your interested. because it will just go to scrap with the mk1 if it doesnt sell.

written off mk1 to be stripped.
mk3 to be stripped.
lupo - not sure yet.
new mk1 on the way.

Offline Hilf

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 11:30:58 pm »
been polishing and waxing it to try and bring the original paint out a little bit better.

terrible picture as it was in low light

---

a picture from cwc 26

---

---

so yeah, i went a bit crazy, i learned a bit of german and hit german ebay pretty hard for the last week.

and the result = a pair of perfect front wings. one NOS  :D

i got one at an absolute steal compare to other prices! but i had to sort my own courier which bumped the price up massively.
and i paid a little over the odds for the other one but the shipping charge is alot cheaper.

fingers crossed they are well taken care of in transit.

i need to stay of german ebay for a while now, they werent cheap!

---

on saturday i went to get it put on a lift so i could have a good look underneath it and get an exhaust rattle sorted out

parked next to a 4x4  :lol:

checked the underneath. its better than most and better than i expected.

then went for a run out to JDM dyno. didnt get it rolling roaded or the timing checked and carbs tweeked but it will all happen sooner or later as ill be back through there afew times in the next few months.

and today this arrived from germany. as i was expecting its taken afew knocks and picked up afew scuffs on the way over but nothing that cant be sorted out in prep.

the other wing should arrive tomorrow.  B)

---

second wing has arrived!

its taked a couple of knocks in transit from germany too but nothing to worry about.

and everything will come to a halt for a while now as im out of £ again  :lol:

---

passed a milestone today

34 years old with genuine proven 50k miles means only 1470 miles a year.
which is only 4 miles per day since it left the factory.

nothing much else to report other than afew more parts have been collected and a speed snail should be on its way to me very soon.

B)

---

parts are still arriving

---

took it through to JDM Dyno today for a quick power run just to see how it was running.

its running very very rich and the bike carbs need rejetted and balanced (bogg bros did it before i bought it  :blink: ), so potentially there could be another 10-20bhp to eek out of it.

into the booth;

on the rollers;

print out;

no videos as i forgot, maybe next time.

104.2 bhp and 106.7 ft/lbs

cant complain with that. and theres more to be pulled out of it with rejetting and balancing.

---

and thats it all up to date now.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 01:10:20 am »
Love it! Great to see such energy after the devastation of the one prior :'( Still remember spotting you around Loughborough on it's journey to new home. What are the engine plans?

Offline Hilf

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:37:37 pm »
ah yeah it was you who spotted me driving it back from collecting it.

motor plans. well i have afew options.

the ABD on cbr600 carbs, stainless 4 branch and ss system with a GT box thats in it was just RR'd at 105bhp.
i also have an AFH that i could plonk in with r6 bike carbs, bike fuel pump, polo gti stainless manifold etc etc.
but the motor im going to be building (with the help from a friend) will be an AAV 1.3 SPI running a solex 32 dis blowthrough carb, kkk k03 turbo, mistu delica i/c etc etc. and im hoping to build the turbo motor up on a budget (idea being, trying to build it for absolutely nothing! haha).

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 10:21:30 pm »
Oh the red one is Steve densons old one. Not seen it for years but it was a really nice clean polo..still looks good. Must be fun with over a hundred bhp too.