Author Topic: 1341 overheating...  (Read 1527 times)

Offline G40 AD

• Members
1341 overheating...
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:03:02 am »
So the 1341 ran fine no overheating when I drove it in to the unit 6months go... Project ended up on the back burner for a while but finished it yesterday to be faced with an overheating issue...

Symptoms
Water boiling out of the expansion tank @110deg & radiator remains cold

So far I have tested:
Radiator is not blocked
All water routes free flowing
Expansion tank & cap (seal checked) swapped
Water pump (new vag) all fins intact & freely spinning
Rad fan switch terminals bridged & working
Rad fan switch swapped from working car
New thermotat & full housing

Hot water is reaching the heaters but not the radiator which will warm slightly at best after several failed attempts I tried without a thermostat to see if the rad would heat up which it did not!!!

The issue seems to be that the hot water cannot flow through the coolant route (all though not blocked) even to the point that I removed the bottom hose from the stat housing to find cool water in the hose but hot water from the stat housing...

All that I can think is that there is excess pressure in the system some how (hg?) causing the strange flow of coolant to be noted though that there is no indication of any smoke from the exhaust...

Really lost for ideas and planning to chuck a 1272 back in tomo so I can get it mot'd... Someone help me please !!!

Cheers

Ad

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:17:09 am by G40 AD »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: 1341 overheating...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 08:28:58 am »
I'd go for incorrect coolant pipe routing, you got the small 180' pipe from the metal water pipe in the correct place?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:11:05 am »
have you tested the thermostat in a jug of boiling water to see if it actually opens? 

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:21:45 am »
Cheers guys,

Yoof - I am questioning myself on this now (and wondering if I should really be allowed near cars) but will be very happy if it is just that... the 180 deg pipe is attached to the pipe that runs directly out of the head and runs parallel with it... please say this is wrong! (I worked on the car for 23hours straight after a day at work so I can accept a little rookie mistake like this!)

Hayesy - It had a new thermostat then I switched for the one off my running G40 and then tried without a stat all with the same results!

Somewhat annoyingly out of the 5 G40's sat in the unit not one has the coolant pipe attached to compare with!!! Typical!

Cheers for your responses...

Ad

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:02:45 pm »
Confirmed - I've mixed up the rad feed and pump return feed... feel like a proper numpty but well chuffed that my engine hasn't just died for no reason!! After two years off the road the G will be driven for MOT this eve... happy boy right now!

cheerss for your responses.

Ad

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:52:23 pm »
Pow- not a bad guess

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 01:48:31 pm »
Indeed a good shout Yoof!

Just driven it back to work from the unit.. more work to do tonight but buzzing all the same!!!

Ad

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 07:18:30 am »
Ive been asleep....... is it all hunky dory and road legals now pidge?

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 07:24:09 am »
yup yup Jonno... shall be at Tatton on Sun if you're heading down? hopefully after a good polish too but cant promise anything!!!