Author Topic: Over heating  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Vwpologt

• Members
Over heating
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:55:31 pm »
Well lads my polo start over heating a few days ago when I put in the new clocks. it was saying 110c on the clocks but it's not over heating and the fan is kicking in to . Iv change all the coolant switches and put a new thermostat in and it still says 110c on the clocks could it be a problem with the clocks any ideas cheers phil

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Re: Over heating
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:54:31 pm »
If it's only started doing it since you put the clocks in and you're pretty sure that the engine isn't actually overheating then it's most likely the clocks. I would change them back and see if the problem goes away as a first step.

Offline Vwpologt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:21:25 am »
I'll have to get a other set my old ones got fryed ha. Thanks for ur help

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 08:32:20 am »
I had the same problem on one of my G40s. I changed thermostat and sensor but turned out the temp part of the clocks was reading high. On mine the needle never went all the way back to the end stop with the ignition off. The temperature and fuel part of the clocks is a plug in module. If you dismantle the clocks you can just swap the modules over.

Offline Vwpologt

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:47:25 am »
Cheers mate for ur help .Is that the little black thing with 3 pins out of it by any chance.

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 12:23:39 pm »
Cheers mate for ur help .Is that the little black thing with 3 pins out of it by any chance.

The bit I mean is the actual temperature gauge in the clocks - with the needle and temperature scale. If you dismantle the clocks it comes out as a separate plug in unit attached to the fuel gauge. The speedo and rev counter gauges also come out as separate units. They are built like that so they can make up different clocks for different spec cars. The temperature/fuel gauge part comes in gallons and litres versions. The temperature /fuel gauge part out of your old clocks may still work even if the whole thing isn't working properly.