Author Topic: Vacuum question. Urgent help to complete my conversion.  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Weeman

• Members
Vacuum question. Urgent help to complete my conversion.
« on: June 05, 2012, 12:04:25 am »
Ok so this is a really easy question to answer!

I took my engine out my G four years ago now to restore my shell as it's a bit worse for wear! So I have decided to fit my G engine to a GT I bought last week, now everything has gone nice and smooth, apart from the vacuum lines... I just can't work out where they go :( I have looked over so many pictures to see if I can spot it but I can't!

So here are my questions:

1. Vacum line from to fuel line goes where?
2. I have the GT vac line to the servo fitted so it doesn't have the vac take offs, where can I run my ecu vac line from?
3. Boost gauge? I think this used to be tapped into my vac line to the fuel reg, so where is best to take it from now? I have done the boost return mod so have a spare vac outlet on the throttle body that sued to go to the 'flying saurcer' on the charcoal canister can this be used?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really want to drive this after waiting four years, and it's doing my head in thinking about it.

thanks
Iain.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: Vacuum question. Urgent help to complete my conversion.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 02:53:48 pm »
Vacuum lines from ECU and top of flying saucer both tapped into the servo line via the servo non return valve; is this valve G specific? wouldn't have thought so; worth a quick word with VW. Get you on the road quicker.
Vac. line from regulator goes to front of throttle body, should be a wee spigot there to accept it. Worry about the boost gauge later. Mine's from the flying saucer -servo line.

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 03:14:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply! After a nights sleep I got it all plumbed in, just couldn't work it out last night!

Now I think I have a sticking starter motor as solenoid click but moor doesn't turn over, so taking that out to test it. Shame it's in such a hard place to get too!

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 04:39:50 pm »
Give the starter a whack with wood and hammer, and/or rock the car whilst in gear and trying to use the starter (have somewhere to go forwards and be quick on the brakes if it does start!) - sometimes they come back to life :)

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:55:22 pm »
Took starter motor out and used some good old up leads to test it and it worked fine.

Put it back in and it now turns over but very slow, so took the plugs out and she turns over a lot better, after refitting the plugs its back to being really slow!!

Going to hook her up to my Golf tonight and see if its any better, i cant see what else it could be other then a low battery. Engine is earthed fine and an all cabling seems good.

Fingers crossed it kicks into life tonight as i soo want to hear it run.

Plus side i must have good compression if it slows the turn over down when the plugs are fitted :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 01:07:54 pm »
often down to bad earths or the big cable from the battery to the starter.  Or it could be as simple as a dying battery.  Have you got a charger or at least a battery tester you could use?

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 06:21:18 pm »
Was just a dying battery!

Hooked it upto my golf and left it for a few minutes to get some life into it, turned over a few times then started to pop... Left it a little longer then tried again and it roared into live!

sounds very loud with only the a PPP exhaust manifold on it, will get the rest fitted when it stops raining then get it tax and go abuse a few people who have no idea what it is :)

Can't wait to drive it after so long :D

Ps thanks for all the ideas it's really appreciated that there are people out there will to give give advice to what seem daft questions after you have stood and scratched your head for ages looking!