Author Topic: Front Mount Fitting  (Read 3139 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Front Mount Fitting
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:27:46 pm »
Been searching on how to fit a front mounted intercooler and I can't seem to find anything. It keeps getting asked but with no replys.

Im in the middle of fitting mine and was wondering how you would pipe from the intercooler exit to the throttle body?

Piping from the charger to intercooler entrance is easy but I don't know how id go about fitting the rest since the radiator is in the way.

Should I mount the radiator further back to allow for the pipe to come up over the top of the it?

Brainstorm, any ideas are welcome :)

Adrian

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
Re: Front Mount Fitting
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:02 am »
Its usually just a case of buying afew bits of pipes and seeing what works as there isnt any off the shelf parts so to speak. My IC is mounted infront of my radiator and i have no issues with the rad being in the way. i only had to trim some bodywork in the enginebay to get the boost pipe to fit.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:44:58 am »
Its usually just a case of buying afew bits of pipes and seeing what works as there isnt any off the shelf parts so to speak. My IC is mounted infront of my radiator and i have no issues with the rad being in the way. i only had to trim some bodywork in the enginebay to get the boost pipe to fit.

Did you pipe over the top or round to the right of the radiator. My radiator is tight up against the right hand side of the car and I don't think I could notch anything there... Where abouts did you have to trim? Would you have any pictures? if not, its no problem...

Cheers mate

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:54:25 am »
In my case, moved the radiator along, pipe squeezed in the right of the radiator.

not much angles or piping needed to fit this .

think a 90, straight, 45, little straight and onto the cooler.

SFS , samco , rallydesign , sgt-motorsport.. many sites will supply pipes and agles needed

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:28:35 pm »
In my case, moved the radiator along, pipe squeezed in the right of the radiator.

not much angles or piping needed to fit this .

think a 90, straight, 45, little straight and onto the cooler.

SFS , samco , rallydesign , sgt-motorsport.. many sites will supply pipes and agles needed

Cheers mate, have more piping than I need here. Ill see how much I can move the radiator across. Pity the charger has to be so much in the way.

Offline G40jamie

• Members
  • Loving the G40
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:44:28 pm »
Ive piped up from one side of the front mount to the Charger, but still havent really found a good route to pipe the otherside, just gonna get loads of bends and see what happens :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 02:10:48 pm »
usually end up having to move the radiator out of the way to get a pipe down there.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:53:11 am »
sorry, forgot about posting here!! i'll post up some pics later ron to show you.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 03:40:41 pm »
Got a pic.
if you look, youll see my radiator sits abit further back allowing the intercooler to sit infront, allowing room to run the boostpipe up the side and joins to the black plastic standard boost pipe with afew extra pieces of pipe (including a reducer as the piping im using is smaller than the standard piping).......