Author Topic: 4 pot calipers with a thinner disc.  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Breaderzz

• Members
4 pot calipers with a thinner disc.
« on: April 10, 2012, 10:39:28 pm »
Ok basically I've been researching 4 pots that and relatively easy and cheap to come by.

One type that keeps cropping up is the brembos fitted to the likes of the Fiat coupe turbo, peugeot 406 V6 and Seat leon cupra R.

Whilst I have the capability to physically get these to fit, I have been wondering about discs;
All these cars run discs that are 28mm thick, where as all the usual VW one used for bigger brakes are 20mm.

What are the potential problems caused by such a large difference in thickness if I was to try and run these with say 256 golf discs?

Will the calliper just adjust to the thinner disc or will it cause huge amounts of pedal travel.

Thanks for any help, Liam

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: 4 pot calipers with a thinner disc.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:20:16 am »
I thought 256 disc's were 20mm.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:11:05 am »
Liam- normally this would cause the pads to clatter, potential problems with dirt/grit/stones coming between the pad face and disc, and a long pedal (potentially need to be pumped).

However, you can get pressure valves which fit in the brake line and keep 5psi or so on the caliper (braking pressure is well into the hundreds of psi) which would close the pad gap up, and hopefully stop the above problems.

Vauxhall discs are also 4x100 (centre bore 56.6mm) and different offsets to VW ones, so there's some potential there for you too.

Yoof

Offline Breaderzz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:41:55 am »
I figured there would be problems, Does anyone have any experience with metro turbo ones? as these are normally used with 20mm discs.