Author Topic: Big intercooler!  (Read 3216 times)

Offline prankstar2003

• Members
Big intercooler!
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:10:47 pm »
I have aquired a Focus ST intercooler for the continuing turbo build and its massive! The only place it will even realistically fit is behind the grille, in front of the radiator, obstructing about half of the rad. Providing I can make it fit and plumb it in etc, will it have a huge impact on the cooling efficiency of the rad? I'm running a fairly small rad as it is and this will be for a turbo application, hence requiring maximum cooling efficiency I would have thought

The only other place is hanging out the front, under the bumper but thats a little over the top really and will likely require holes being drilled for pipes etc.

Any help would be great.

Another idea for intercooling on the sly would be several smaller ones i.e. a twintercooler. Could that work?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: Big intercooler!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:29:03 pm »
My intercooler on the mk1 golf completely covers the rad and it gets up to temp quickly and stays nice and steady. Oil and water temps remain stable as turbo is cooled by both.

Don't go too big an ic as it'll probably impact flow

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:49:44 am »
twin intercooling is certainly possible, there are various standard turbo cars that are like that because of space issues. 

my intercooler covers a fair bit of the radiator which is a standard polo one, I dont really have trouble with overheating. Here's an old build pic (without the rad fitted but you get the idea):

Offline prankstar2003

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:09:09 pm »
Wow! thats a huge IC Hayssey. The one i have covers about roughly half the rad, so judging by both replies, i should be fine

Hayssey, do you know how much your charge temp drops over your IC?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:03:48 pm »
nope, I've never measured it.  It's roughly the same size as the ones PSD used to sell.