Author Topic: suspension travel  (Read 1756 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
suspension travel
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:41:21 pm »
im currently trying to tune my suspension to work with british crapy roads! i have removed by H&R collies on the front due to the fact on the highest setting they are still so low i keep hitting the subfcrame and the downpipe one the floor.

I have got some gaz collies custom made with longer pistons (6") the strut housing wasnt shortened by the usual inch to help accomodate the longer piston although for some reason i asked them to make the steering arm suit the longer length and they have lowered it :S

Now my questions is suspension travel what amount of travel should i be looking at im mainly intrested in bump travel as this is what i had a problem with my last suspension due to putting them on the highest suspension the springs where very compressed and therefore coil bound a fair amount and after removing the suspension and having a little measure up turns out theres about 20mm bump travel before the bump stops and these are not progressive

So what kind of length of bump and droop travel should i be looking for is there a ratio as a rule of thumb ? The way the new GAZ collies are set up at the moment with a gap of 60mm between the arch and the tyres ive got 20mm free bump travel then it hits a 45mm progressive bump stop which will compress down to about 20mm so in total ive probably got 40-45mm travel.

I would like to reduce the arch/tyre gap due to for looks realy but id rather have a funcational car i can drive fast on realy rough crappy roads than looking good.Im running a 9" spring i can swap down to a 8" but if i lower the car a further 25mm using the 8" spring i will end up riding on the bump stops.

Any one got any ideas on this or know how much travel they are running ?

Offline Tav

• Members
Re: suspension travel
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:17:11 pm »
I'd just buy H&R Cup or Bilstiens.  My H&R's were fine up here in Aberdeen and we have notoriously bad roads.