Author Topic: engine sludge  (Read 1110 times)

Offline xandyx

• Members
engine sludge
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:33:45 am »
hi there folks!

i start to dismantle my head today for a rebuild. i noticed that there is lot of sludge inside it, like a high mileage oil build up or low quality oil used back in the days.

after spending 2 hours with petrol and a tooth brush, remove most of it, but there are some places full of gunk.

the car used to be driven by an old man, even the exhaust valves have huge carbon build up..

here's what i'm talking about

is there anything i can do to remove all that crap? can i put the head in the bathtub with hot water and oven degreaser?

cheers
André

Offline randombadger69

• Members
Re: engine sludge
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:36:17 am »
Carb cleaner and lots of it!

Parrafin in a tub will work too, but be sure to remove your valve guide seals, so that you cant re-use them (im sure you will replace these anyway). Parrafin will ruin these as a mate of mine found out in his nova!

Iv seen worse looking engines in much newer cars. I literally scraped mayo and grunge out of my mates gf's 1.2 16v corsa head!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:07:27 am »
if its truly apart any engineers place will have a hot wash... maybe quicker and easier to take it there!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:10:14 am »
that doesn't look too bad to me, I've seen a lot worse! 

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:59:32 pm »
sorted now!

gave her a good shower with very hot water and oven degreaser, let it soak fo 30min and then i hit it with a pressure washer, it's shinny as new!

i'll post some pics later.

thanks for your help, cheers for that!!